Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod keeps disconnecting

Can't figure out why the HomePod keeps disconnecting from Wi-fi or my TV. I have a house full of Apple products ( 3 MacBooks, 2 Apple TV's, iMac, MacMini, 4 Apple Watches, 4 iPhones, 4 iPads and the HomePod is the only one that can't stay connected to wi-fi. I called Apple Support and they sent me a replacement HomePod and the replacement is doing the same thing. Sometimes I have to reset my HomePod several times throughout the day. As I stated earlier this is the only Apple Product that can't stay connected. The software has been updated, I have moved the HomePod to where it's sitting next to our router and it still will not stay connected. I have done everything Apple Support has asked me to do and the HomePod still can't stay connected. I haven't even had this product for a year and I just had the replacement for a few months. I have to say this is a terrible product. Searching the web shows that this is an on going problem and Apple is not doing anything to fix this disaster. The slogan "it just works" needs to be changed because it doesn't work. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Dec 25, 2020 7:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2020 10:53 AM

Your mileage may vary, but it seems HomePod works best when there is only one network that it is has the credentials for. Disabling the 5GHz radio in a dual band router or giving it a different SSID can help. Make sure that the iOS device used to configure the HomePod only knows how to connect to one of the wireless networks that are visible from its location. I.e.. if you ever connected your iPhone to your neighbour's Wi-Fi in an emergency you now need to forget that network.

tt2

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2020 10:53 AM in response to johnnyfromcollege park

Your mileage may vary, but it seems HomePod works best when there is only one network that it is has the credentials for. Disabling the 5GHz radio in a dual band router or giving it a different SSID can help. Make sure that the iOS device used to configure the HomePod only knows how to connect to one of the wireless networks that are visible from its location. I.e.. if you ever connected your iPhone to your neighbour's Wi-Fi in an emergency you now need to forget that network.

tt2

Dec 26, 2020 4:37 AM in response to johnnyfromcollege park

This has been happening to us for years. For what ever reason with the way the home pod is programmed- it never actually maintains connection to the Apple TV day over day, even after reconnecting it. We have contributed it to poor design and artificial un-intelligence. We purchased two additional mini’s because we enjoy the other homepod capabilities- but they also disconnect from the Apple TV after turning off the tv and appleTv for the evening.

if you are reading this Apple, you need to program a feature for “main sound output” so when the Apple TV boots up, it auto connects to the designated speaker.

instead, Apple recently got rid of the menus to choose your output sound, and now we have to go through Netflix or Hulu to play something we aren’t intending to watch, in order to change the sound output.

it’s frustrating, and not as seem less as they’ve promised. And seems like an obvious fix for simplicity. Unfortunately Apple is not always known for simplicity, and that is clear in this case.

I know this isn’t as helpful but we thought we would share our experience.

HomePod keeps disconnecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.