Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i sort video files by length in Mojave finder?

I can see the duration of my video files but I can't find a way of sorting them (longest last, for example). I have sorted them by file size but a shorter video will not always be a smaller file size. Does anyone know how to do it? Thanks people.

Mac mini, 10.14

Posted on Feb 5, 2019 1:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2019 2:32 AM

You can do so while in List view by right/control clicking in the blank area next to "Name" and mark "Duration". That will add a new column and you can click on its name to toggle between ascending and descending.

5 replies

Feb 5, 2019 5:40 AM in response to Woodwose

Once you have followed dialabrain's advice, you can click on that Duration heading in list view and drag it across to appear before the date column to avoid scrolling right and left to see the duration.

Also, in a Finder window's search field, or in Spotlight, you can ask for all videos in seconds. It is unfortunate that they did not allow the actual time code (hh:mm:ss) here but its Apple:

duration:<200

duration:>5000

duration:4905-6000

This should just return all video types with a duration field. There are kinds for movies, Quicktime, MPEG-4, etc.

(kind:movies OR kind:MPEG-4) AND duration:<1000

how do i sort video files by length in Mojave finder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.