Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Captive portal and mojave

Hello all

Each time I try to connect to the captive portal of my University, a pop-up windows appears (which is normal), but instead of asking me for my login and password, it gives me the following message: "A problem occurred. The web page couldn't be loaded".

Any idea on how to solve this

MacBook Pro 13”, 10.14

Posted on Feb 5, 2019 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2019 2:24 AM

Thanks John

Finally I found out the origin of my problem: it was due to my anti-virus (which I wasn't expecting because I've never had this problem on the same network, using the same anti-virus (Sophos) under Mavericks).

When I deactivate the anti-virus, I get the normal pop-up window of the captive portal asking me for my credentials.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2019 2:24 AM in response to John Lockwood

Thanks John

Finally I found out the origin of my problem: it was due to my anti-virus (which I wasn't expecting because I've never had this problem on the same network, using the same anti-virus (Sophos) under Mavericks).

When I deactivate the anti-virus, I get the normal pop-up window of the captive portal asking me for my credentials.

Feb 6, 2019 8:36 AM in response to lpays

Hello lpays,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that when trying to connect to your University's captive portal you receive a message saying, "A problem occurred. The web page couldn't be loaded." The following article has steps which may help resolve this type of issue:

If Safari doesn't load a page or webpage items are missing - Apple Support

Best Regards.

Feb 8, 2019 5:54 AM in response to lpays

See https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250063232 apparently opening any web page when this happens gets round the issue.

I would classify this as a bug in Apple's software. If Apple's intent was this be a security measure it should not be so easy to get round, if the message was not supposed to happen in the first place then equally it is a bug.

Feb 7, 2019 2:54 AM in response to Teddy_B

Thanks for your answer.

But that does not solve my problem: Safari works very well when I am connected to another wifi network (like at home for example).

Your answer concerns a very broad topic, and my problem is very specific and concerns only captive portals, and I don't even know if the pop-up windows is linked to safari since it appears as soon as I select a captive wi-fi network independently on the fact that Safari is open or not.

Captive portal and mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.