Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail | Question marks instead of attachment names

Hi!

I have an issue with Apple Mail for the last 2 major versions of MacOS, now including Mojave.

I've been receiving my messages from a gmail account normally. When a message contains attachments (one or more) and the attachment names are written in Greek, most times Apple Mail shows question marks where the attachment names should appear. Additionally, Apple Mail cannot download and/or open/preview all such attachments, which means that I have to visit the web version of gmail.

• The extension-filetype of the attachment is irrelevant.
  • This is gmail dependent as I do not have the same issue with outlook-live and yahoo accounts

Apparently, this has to do with the encoding used by gmail and/or Apple Mail but I haven't found any options to modify it anywhere relevant.

Maybe someone else has seen this?

MacBook Pro 15", 10.14

Posted on Feb 6, 2019 5:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2019 10:52 PM

Thank you for your reply. I've already reported it twice so far but it's still here since High Sierra. :(

Another question is whether the issue can be addressed from Apple in Apple Mail rather than Google.

Similar questions

2 replies

Apple Mail | Question marks instead of attachment names

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.