Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to show when a document was created in the finder without having to pull down the window?

Hi all! In the past, when I looked at a file in the finder window, it would show me the date it was created and modified. In a recent update, this disappeared. I know the information is still there... all I have to do is enlarge the window. But I'm wondering if there's a way to change the default so that I can see when the document was created and/or modified without having to pull down the window. It would be a real time-saver for me. I'm attaching a picture to show what I mean.

iMac Pro

Posted on Feb 6, 2019 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2019 11:00 AM

As I pointed out in my previous post, by unchecking Show Quick Actions in the Preview options, you eliminate that extra view space consumed by the Quick Actions panel, and this allows all of the default checked info items to show without scrolling that Preview window.

13 replies

Feb 6, 2019 8:59 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks for the quick response! However, when I go right click on my finder window and choose "Show Preview Options," my pop-up window looks very different than what you posted. I'm attaching a picture. On the right is what you posted and on the left is what I get when I click on "Show Preview Options." As you can see, there's no choice for Dates. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what. Did I not go to the right place to find those options?

Feb 6, 2019 10:33 AM in response to DigitalChickster

Thank you again for the quick response! I did figure out the "Show Preview Options." And I saw where to check or uncheck the Tags, Dates, etc. However, mine are already checked. Which I guess makes sense, because when I do resize the finder window, the dates ARE there. What I'm trying to figure out is how to have them in view (without resizing the window) whenever I'm looking through my images. Does that make sense? It used to be that way. I'd click on a picture or file in the finder, and to the right (in column view) the image thumbnail would be there.... along with its name and the creation/modification dates. Now it just shows the name and the size of the file. The dates are "hidden" below... and the window has to be resized in order for me to view that information.

Feb 6, 2019 11:26 AM in response to DigitalChickster

AFAICT, it is not for each individual file, for a file type - e.g., if you uncheck this for a jpeg file, you still have it for, say, a pdf; then uncheck for a pdf and it will not show for all other pdf, and so on. This allows you to show quick actions only for some files, at the cost of having to check or uncheck the box a few times.

Is there a way to show when a document was created in the finder without having to pull down the window?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.