Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to log in FileVault login screen when the display is broken

My macbook 2016 display broken and I would like to use the macbook through a projector but its still in FileVault login screen and I can’t login and couldn’t connect to a projector since it’s still in FileVault login screen. Please help me.

Posted on Feb 7, 2019 8:20 PM

3 replies

Feb 18, 2019 9:00 PM in response to FahadAnwer

Try typing just the first letter of your User name, followed by the Return key. Then type the FileVault password, and the Return key again.

In other words if your User Account name is "Fahad" and your password is "Password1", start the Mac, wait enough time for the FileVault login prompt, then type

f <return key>

Password1 <return key again>

Perhaps you'll get lucky and your Mac's display will appear on the projector.

Feb 19, 2019 8:20 PM in response to John Galt

After log in, wait a minute or two then try pressing Command + F1 to see if it will toggle display mirroring. If you have a touchbar model, you may need to press the function key first to get the touchbar to display the Function keys. I'm not sure if this still works with the 2016 model and recent versions of macOS.

How to log in FileVault login screen when the display is broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.