Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2018 password Mac mini (2018 model) Mojave

Setting up a Mac mini (2018 model) Mojave. Plugged it into a tv when it first arrived to be sure it worked. Been waiting on new monitor which arrived and working and well. After trying every password I would possibly use, still only can log on as a guest. I really don't remember giving it a password. After a few fails a window pops up suggesting I use my Apple ID to reset it, following that route, seems to go ok until I try the new password, not working, get the shake again. Thanx in advance for any guidance.

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 20, 2019 11:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2019 1:36 PM

Reset Forgotten Admin Password on macOS Mojave SOLVED (for me at least)

Thanx to https://coolestguidesontheplanet.com & hcsitas (worked first time, no fuss no muss).

Recommend wired keyboard in case your bluetooth doesn't pair soon enough. Any ANSI $8.00 wired keyboard should work. Windows key instead of Command key? No problem, use the Windows key for the Command key.

Boot into Recovery Partition

Reboot into the Recovery Drive by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, hold down the ‘command (Windows)’ + ‘r’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process, when you see the start up screen you can let go. When the machine boots eventually you will see the macOS or OS X Utilities screen.

Go to the top left corner of your screen and choose the Utilites menu and select Terminal

At the prompt type ‘resetpassword’ (hit enter)

This launches the Reset Password screen, select the Volume Hard Drive in the top part of the window pane, then for the user that you need to reset select the user account in the lower part then add and confirm the new password and click save, you get a confirmation screen and details about the keychain account.

Go to the Apple Menu and click Restart to boot back to the normal hard drive and the new password will take effect immediately.

Yeah

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2019 1:36 PM in response to jwmhjr

Reset Forgotten Admin Password on macOS Mojave SOLVED (for me at least)

Thanx to https://coolestguidesontheplanet.com & hcsitas (worked first time, no fuss no muss).

Recommend wired keyboard in case your bluetooth doesn't pair soon enough. Any ANSI $8.00 wired keyboard should work. Windows key instead of Command key? No problem, use the Windows key for the Command key.

Boot into Recovery Partition

Reboot into the Recovery Drive by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, hold down the ‘command (Windows)’ + ‘r’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process, when you see the start up screen you can let go. When the machine boots eventually you will see the macOS or OS X Utilities screen.

Go to the top left corner of your screen and choose the Utilites menu and select Terminal

At the prompt type ‘resetpassword’ (hit enter)

This launches the Reset Password screen, select the Volume Hard Drive in the top part of the window pane, then for the user that you need to reset select the user account in the lower part then add and confirm the new password and click save, you get a confirmation screen and details about the keychain account.

Go to the Apple Menu and click Restart to boot back to the normal hard drive and the new password will take effect immediately.

Yeah

2018 password Mac mini (2018 model) Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.