Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot sign into App Store OSX Mojave

I have tried everything, Apple "support" is useless. HOW can I sign into the app store and download apps I have paid hundreds of dollars for? I have tried all of the terminal, ketychain, etc. hacks and nothing works. How do they get away with this?

MacBook Air (2018 or later)

Posted on Feb 7, 2019 8:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2019 9:35 AM

(you're welcome 😁)....

If you are not using iCloud Photos (because you don't want to have them all re-downloading) , try signing out of iCloud in System Preferences. Then see if you can sign into the App store without being signed into iCloud (I'm not running Mojave, so I can't check that, but it is very possible that you will not be able to sign it in until you sign back into iCloud). If you need to sign back into iCloud before proceeding, then do that. Then try signing into the App Store again to see if the sign in will complete.

And just curious, are you signed in successfully to the iTunes Store?

Best,

GB

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2019 9:35 AM in response to ElkRiverCrew-JDM

(you're welcome 😁)....

If you are not using iCloud Photos (because you don't want to have them all re-downloading) , try signing out of iCloud in System Preferences. Then see if you can sign into the App store without being signed into iCloud (I'm not running Mojave, so I can't check that, but it is very possible that you will not be able to sign it in until you sign back into iCloud). If you need to sign back into iCloud before proceeding, then do that. Then try signing into the App Store again to see if the sign in will complete.

And just curious, are you signed in successfully to the iTunes Store?

Best,

GB

Feb 8, 2019 3:03 AM in response to gail from maine

I have this same issue. New Mac mini, running macOS Mojave Version 10.14.3. I have followed all Apple recommendations to resolve the issue but I'm still unable to sign-in.

1. When I open App Store I see that I'm not signed in (bottom left).
  2. I click sign in (bottom left).
  3. Sign in windows appears with my Apple ID preloaded.
  4. I enter my password and click Sign in.
  5. A daisy wheel spins for a few seconds next to my Apple ID before the Sign in window animates up out of view without signing me in. No error messages, etc.

Thank you in advance for your help. It's super frustrating.

Feb 8, 2019 8:45 AM in response to gail from maine

I've tried signing in from the menu (screenshot above) as well as the Sign in button at bottom left in the App Store itself. I've also tried all steps recommended from Apple including restarting. I even tried a fresh install of the OS. Everything else works with this new Mac mini including iTunes.

(thank you so much for your continued help!)

Feb 8, 2019 2:39 PM in response to ElkRiverCrew-JDM

OK, so I have one additional option I can offer. First, close the App Store App to stop the perpetual download, then open your iTunes app, click on Account>View My Account and provide your password when prompted. Once your Account Information screen displays, scroll down to the bottom of the screen, and click on the Reset button next to "Reset All Warnings for Buying and Downloading". Go back and open the App store and see if you are now able to download successfully.

Best,

GB

Feb 8, 2019 5:57 PM in response to ElkRiverCrew-JDM

Hi, I am the original poster. I just spent 2 hours being shuffled around, and someone finally fixed it, KIND OF. SO, you have to go to your Finder>Preferences, select all then choose the gear wheel and select "make new folder from selected items. Basically, you are deleting your preferences. Restart, and you will be promoted to setup your mac as a new machine, you should then be able to log in. NOW, I was promoted to "accept" a "hardware code" so I could update my apps, THAT failed. I am back on hold again. What a mess. I hope this helps!

Feb 8, 2019 8:47 PM in response to ElkRiverCrew-JDM

:'( Well this is incredibly frustrating. I should probably be happy that this is the first real issue I've had with an Apple product in 20 years, but UGH!!!!

Nothing changed after resetting all warnings for buying and downloading.

Are you running any sort of Anti-virus app?

Do you have another user set up on the Mac that you can log into? If so, log out of iCloud on your User ID, and log out of the App Store there as well. Then, under the new user, sign into your iCloud account and in into the App Store with your Apple ID. See if the updates for your ID show up there, and try updating one of them.

Best,

GB

Feb 9, 2019 8:42 AM in response to ElkRiverCrew-JDM

OK, after being on the phone with tech support, here is what fixed it, sorry for the confusion.

1-Select finder, click on "Go" and select "Computer", click on "Macintosh Hard Drive"

2- Click on "Library" folder

3- Scroll down to "preferences" folder

4- Select all

5- Make . a new folder within the library and copy paste all items into the new folder

6-Restart, and you will be prompted to setup your computer as new (it won't delete files or apps, you have to rearrange your doc, go through the Siri setup, etc.

Once you are in App store, click on your account info. You will see a dialog that says you have to send a hardware code to Apple to get app updates. If you click accept and it fails, you have to delete the selected apps, (usually just imovie, pages, keynote, numbers and garage band) then redownload them. I hope this helps!

Cannot sign into App Store OSX Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.