Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change my NetBIOS name?

This has been asked before in this community, and elsewhere, but I have yet to find an answer: how can I change the NetBIOS name of my computer durably?

It is different from the computer name indicated in Settings > Sharing. If I try to change it in Settings > Network > Advanced > WINS, the change doesn't stick (and after deleting the current WINS name, one can see the WINS name grayed out underneath).

Since preferences have been managed by a daemon since OS X 10.9, I've tried the command

sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server.plist

followed by a restart. This appears to work for a few seconds -- and then the NetBIOS name returns.

I've also tried the defaults delete command followed by a restart and PRAM reset, to no avail.

The question is this: where is Mojave getting the NetBIOS name from, and how can I get a NetBIOS name change to stick?

MacBook Pro w/ Touch Bar (2018 or later)

Posted on Feb 8, 2019 1:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2019 2:16 AM

Turns out that the solution was to:

1. Remove all the NetBIOS name entries in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist (there was one for every interface) (I used vi)
  2. Killall -9 cfprefsd
  3. Issue the

sudo defaults delete/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server.plist

command for good measure.

4.Restart

I hope this can help others.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2019 2:16 AM in response to odysseus

Turns out that the solution was to:

1. Remove all the NetBIOS name entries in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist (there was one for every interface) (I used vi)
  2. Killall -9 cfprefsd
  3. Issue the

sudo defaults delete/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server.plist

command for good measure.

4.Restart

I hope this can help others.

How do I change my NetBIOS name?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.