Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone SE unable to update or restore through iTunes

i am in recovery mode (iTunes sign with plug picture) on (iPhone SE). Trying to do "update" instead of restore but get a message that "device can not be found". Have latest iTune. Also if try to to perform "update and Restore" get the same message.

When trying to update or restore the iPhone through iTunes in "recovery mode" the iTunes sign and plug screen on iPhone disappears and apple logo appears for few second then back to recovery screen.

On the computer iTunes says "extracting software" then message appears that "device can not be found". The phone has new battery, cpu, and mother board instilled by apple service center. After the service iPhone will keep restarting every 5-10 minutes so i decided to update the firmware as one of the solutions. now i am stuck at "recovery mode"

iPhone SE

Posted on Feb 8, 2019 2:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Similar questions

6 replies

Feb 8, 2019 8:01 AM in response to Shmalick

The phone has new battery, cpu, and mother board instilled by apple service center.

Um... no. At most, Apple or an authorized service provider would replace the battery. Other than the battery and the display, anything else requires complete replacement of the device.

Apple or an authorized service provider also would not knowingly send you out the door with a device that was spontaneously rebooting every few minutes after the repair.

Take it back.

IF the repair was actually done by Apple or an AASP, there is a 90 day warranty on the work.

If the work was done by an unauthorized service provider, Apple won't touch that phone now.

Feb 8, 2019 8:37 AM in response to KiltedTim

Just to share some experience about this.

My phone was kept rebooting and finally died. Took to Apple service center in Beijing. They replaced CPU, mother board, and battery.

It was alive but kept rebooting about 20 times a day. Took the device back and they replaced the battery again. Did not help the situation and it kept rebooting with lesser frequency as time passed by. but the problem was still there.

so i decided to update the device via recovery mode.

Followed all those links you sent me but was getting "device not found" , "error code 9" and "unable to find device" etc... while using iTunes to perform update/recovery.

Found out that the culprit was the USB cable because kept receiving "device not found" etc.. with error code 4XXX. Once used original apple usb cable, the iPhone was able to update the software in recovery mode. After that there are no rebooting problem, mis-indication of battery level , etc.... So the final result was that after updating firmware via recovery mode using iTune, took care of rebooting problem and false indication error related to the battery status. BTW when i check the battery status before all this, it show me " Battery Health Service>" and showed "-" for the maximum capacity.

problem solved, it was firmware issue and via iTune updating the firmware it solved all the problems. No more rebooting, no more inaccurate battery level status.

And did not require visit to apple service center again because it was there three time already, having them replacing batteries twice. Cheers,

iPhone SE unable to update or restore through iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.