Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime and Messages

Hello folks,

I have trouble to sign to FaceTime and Messages on my MacBook Pro with my Apple ID and Password. When I try it say: Your Apple ID or password was incorrect. Any ideas what is the problem ?

MacBook Pro 13", 10.14

Posted on Feb 9, 2019 10:12 AM

11 replies

Feb 10, 2019 1:16 PM in response to DJMrSparkZ

Greetings DJMrSparkZ,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities! I understand you're unable to sign in to iMessage and FaceTime on your MacBook Pro, as you mentioned you're receiving an alert that your Apple ID or password is incorrect.

The following guide will help you to reset your Apple ID password: If you forgot your Apple ID password

If the behavior persists after resetting the password for your Apple ID, then I suggest following the steps outlined within the "Check your Apple ID" section of the following guide: If you can't sign in to your iMessage account or FaceTime on your Mac

Let me know how it goes from here.

Cheers.

Feb 12, 2019 10:32 AM in response to DJMrSparkZ

You are welcome. Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply        Pastebin

Feb 14, 2019 9:21 AM in response to DJMrSparkZ

See if anything here helps.

Messages – Can’t log in

Messages – Can’t log in 2

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J.  When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder.  Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.iChat.plist.  Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Feb 12, 2019 8:49 AM in response to brenden dv

Hello brenden dv,

Unfortunately non of these steps works for me.

When I try this steps

• Messages: Choose Messages > Preferences, then click Accounts. Select your iMessage account, then click Sign Out. Now sign in again with the same Apple ID you used on the Apple ID account page.
  • FaceTime: Choose FaceTime > Preferences. In the Settings tab, click Sign Out. Then sign in again with the same Apple ID you used on the Apple ID account page.

Did't allow me to click on Preferences when I open Messages and FaceTime.

I try to reset nvram with no difference.

Feb 12, 2019 10:03 AM in response to Eric Root

Hello Eric,

Thanks for your answer.

In Messages app wnen I click cmd and comma it kinda work. At least open the app and allow me to click on preferences. When I open preferences and go to iMessage tab and fill my Apple ID and password is the same - Your Apple ID or password is incorrect.

It didn't work for FaceTime at all - still can't click preferences.

FaceTime and Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.