Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule backups of Mojave

My old 2009 MacbookPro, has El Capitan OS 10.11.6 and uses Mac OS Extended file system (aka HFS+).   I want to migrate all my files to a newly purchased MBP.  It has Mojave OS 10.14 which uses the APFS system.  My old Mac cannot install Mac OS’s after 10.11.6.

1)  I have been using Apple’s Time Machine to make automatic backups of my old Mac to a 2TB Apple Time Capsule.  I understand that Apple’s Time Capsule only supports Mac OS Extended.  Apple Support articles say that I don’t need to change any Time Machine settings to back up APFS files, so I presume it converts them to OS Extended to store them.  They also say if I want new Mac to be able to access backups made on old Mac, I can tell Migration Assistant to “Inherit Backup.” after which the backup history will no longer be usable on the old Mac. However, if I want another family member to continue to use my old Mac with access to its backups, I can direct Migration Assistant to “Create New Backup,” in which case Time Machine will start separate backups for the new Mac.  That would be OK as I presume once its done its first backup, new Mac could access any file that had been on old Mac at time of migration.  According to Apple Support’s “Restore your Mac from a backup,” I would have ability to restore specific files, all files, or both macOS and my files,  I presume that’s true even though the backup is in MacOS Extended.  Is Time Machine setup upon migration and use all that simple, or is there anything I am missing?

(2)  Is migration by target disk mode with a USB-to-USB-C cable adapter significantly faster than wifi?

Posted on Feb 9, 2019 5:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2019 7:17 PM

If you have AC model Time Capsule and you can put your new laptop next to it and get absolutely full speed.. wifi should be pretty much the same speed as ethernet since the actual hard disk in the TC is not fast and the actual transfer speed is Max 40MByte/s.. well within wifi speeds.

It makes no difference if you do the backup from the Time Machine backup or the original disk in target mode.. but I would not inherit the old backup in the new Mac.. it is really wrong approach.. You can still transfer the files without damaging the old Mac backup.

Migration Assistant is not granular enough to select files.. you either have all user files or none.. all applications or none.. all settings or none.. So you generally will need to transfer the lot and delete what you don't need or manually change the backup so you can access and import only what you want.

Note.. before you start a good way is to create a clone of the old Mac using disk utility or carbon copy cloner.. and you can then use that disk plugged directly into your computer to do the transfer..

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2019 7:17 PM in response to mackerel

If you have AC model Time Capsule and you can put your new laptop next to it and get absolutely full speed.. wifi should be pretty much the same speed as ethernet since the actual hard disk in the TC is not fast and the actual transfer speed is Max 40MByte/s.. well within wifi speeds.

It makes no difference if you do the backup from the Time Machine backup or the original disk in target mode.. but I would not inherit the old backup in the new Mac.. it is really wrong approach.. You can still transfer the files without damaging the old Mac backup.

Migration Assistant is not granular enough to select files.. you either have all user files or none.. all applications or none.. all settings or none.. So you generally will need to transfer the lot and delete what you don't need or manually change the backup so you can access and import only what you want.

Note.. before you start a good way is to create a clone of the old Mac using disk utility or carbon copy cloner.. and you can then use that disk plugged directly into your computer to do the transfer..

Feb 9, 2019 9:22 PM in response to mackerel

Also, in searching Apple Support articles for backup inheriting advice, at one point it came up with a 3-28-2017 "macOS Sierra: If you want a new Mac to inherit your backup history." While Sierra is history, the description of the migrating to a new mac is confusing in that it says you are asked to specify whether you want a new Mac to inherit a backup IF you use Migration Asstant to transfer your SETTINGS from old Mac or from a Time Machine backup of an old Mac. Then it says if you want to continue using old Mac, to select Create New Backup. I presume they mean in that case you can set new backup settings for the new Mac, like scheduling times. Otherwise the previous IF could imply that if you select the Create New Backup option, other "settings" may not transfer. In my old occupation we often said, anything that could be misunderstood would be misunderstood.

Feb 9, 2019 10:11 PM in response to mackerel

I am pretty sure you cannot get the old Mac into Target Disk Mode with USB working.

Apple says only USB3 and later.

See https://www.macworld.com/article/2911813/got-a-new-macbook-usb-target-disk-mode-works-with-the-right-cable-which-apple-doesnt-sell.html

It was always designed only to work on network ports.. ie Firewire or Ethernet.

You could use a USB C to Ethernet Dongle.. which might be a Thunderbolt3 to Ethernet.. which would be useful into the future as well.

Then it says if you want to continue using old Mac, to select Create New Backup. I presume they mean in that case you can set new backup settings for the new Mac, like scheduling times. Otherwise the previous IF could imply that if you select the Create New Backup option, other "settings" may not transfer. In my old occupation we often said, anything that could be misunderstood would be misunderstood.

If you transfer settings your old computer is totally transferred to the new one.. including its name. Network names must be unique.. so it is important to never use backup until you fix the share name. But it might be worse than that and transfer UUID of the disk.. it should not.. but I am just not sure..

All I am suggesting is to protect your old backups.. as they do readily get messed up when people migrate the whole system.. normally this is fine because the old laptop is going to wiped and sold or is dead already.. but if it is still alive and going to still live in your network.. do not allow them both on the network at the same time until you fix it.

Time Capsule backups of Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.