Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to inherit multiple backup disks to existing Mac (with previously synch'd file system)?

I'd like an existing Mac to inherit backups from another Mac that I owned, the former having been kept in synch with the latter, but only the latter using Time Machine for backups. Specifically:

1. My main Mac, a MacBook Pro 17" 2009 called "MBPro" stopped working on 4/19/20. I used it as my office machine, it ran El Capitan 10.11.6.
  2. MBPro was backed up using Time Machine to two disks: a USB-attached external drive called "Backup", and a Time Capsule disk called "Data" (the default name).
  3. I still have both disks, "Backup" containing Backups.backupdb/MBPro, and "Data" containing MBPro.sparsebundle.
  4. I also have a MacBook Air, called "MBAir" which I used as my "mobile" laptop, and which I now want to make my main office computer.
  5. MBPro and MBAir coexisted such that they were kept in synch regularly, but not via Time Machine: MBAir has the same El Capitan 10.11.6 OS (from an original clean install), the same applications (installed separately, and not copied or migrated), and the same user files. The user files were kept in synch using a synch application "Synchronize! Pro X". MBAir was NOT backed up.
  6. Since 4/19/20, I've been using MBAir, and obviously, there are now updates to some files.
  7. I would like MBAir to now inherit MBPro's backup history, with the same drives I was using previously: USB-attached external drive "Backup", and Time Capsule drive "Data".
  8. In other words, I'd like MBAir to now take the role of MBPro, including using MBPro's backup history and configuration.

Is this possible?

I've tried looking at other posts on this topic, and am getting stuck on the fact that MBAir's files were not migrated from MBPro but rather kept manually in synch, and that I have two drives that I want MBAir to inherit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Air

Posted on May 20, 2020 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2020 11:40 PM

I do in fact have the drive (and it is a fast SSD), and so what you suggest is a nice idea. The only drawback is that I need to boot to that drive if I want old versions of files, rather than having the convenience of accessing all old versions of my files from my MBAir.

If this is occurring on a regular basis you are using the wrong software. Time Machine is not a proper archive/versioning software. It will wipe out files that no longer exist on the Mac. It will also remove a whole bunch of versions as part of its thinning process. It certainly does not keep all versions.

How often are you digging around for old versions of files? How far back are you going?

Indeed, I did not realize this. I'm not sure I understand though: am I able to access past versions of the same file (albeit not using the TM interface)?

Yes, It is easy to drill down using Finder to extract files from Time Machine backup. Just pick the date you want and go to your user files and check for it.. sometimes you will need to check in a few of the dates as mentioned.. TM thins the backups. Not every variation is present.

I would also comment that booting from SSD after the first time when changes are made to install is very fast over USB3. You can literally boot the machine in a minute.

I'm not sure which "settings" you mean, but the MBPro and MBAir had a virtually identical environment, save for files that are somehow machine-specific - though these would be system files, and I'm really not concerned with those, I just want to be able to access old versions of user files - but from the MBAir now rather than the defunct MBPro.

Lots of things are different. There are various identifiers added to hard disk so each machine cannot directly use the same Time Machine backup. It is not based on computer name. When you inherit a backup major changes are made.. and I don't know what the implications of all of those changes are.. but we have found Time Machine is increasingly fragile.

If you really wish to make the Air identical to the Pro you can do it. Let me explain.

Do use the SSD from the pro and plug it into the Air and boot from it.. if that works well.. very well.. and you can then also access the backups.. clone the Pro drive to the Air having cloned the Air drive somewhere else. I use Carbon Copy Cloner to do this. It is free to download and use for a month without limits.

Test test test. Once you create a clone of the Air .. boot from it .. so you know it works. Once you are happy it works.. clone the SSD of the Pro which is now working on the Air to the Air internal drive.

From now on I would look for proper archive software.. to hold all the versions of your various files that your constantly referencing because I can guarantee you the day will come when Time Machine does this.

I see it annually if not more often.

You will cry a lot when this happens.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2020 11:40 PM in response to joepasquale

I do in fact have the drive (and it is a fast SSD), and so what you suggest is a nice idea. The only drawback is that I need to boot to that drive if I want old versions of files, rather than having the convenience of accessing all old versions of my files from my MBAir.

If this is occurring on a regular basis you are using the wrong software. Time Machine is not a proper archive/versioning software. It will wipe out files that no longer exist on the Mac. It will also remove a whole bunch of versions as part of its thinning process. It certainly does not keep all versions.

How often are you digging around for old versions of files? How far back are you going?

Indeed, I did not realize this. I'm not sure I understand though: am I able to access past versions of the same file (albeit not using the TM interface)?

Yes, It is easy to drill down using Finder to extract files from Time Machine backup. Just pick the date you want and go to your user files and check for it.. sometimes you will need to check in a few of the dates as mentioned.. TM thins the backups. Not every variation is present.

I would also comment that booting from SSD after the first time when changes are made to install is very fast over USB3. You can literally boot the machine in a minute.

I'm not sure which "settings" you mean, but the MBPro and MBAir had a virtually identical environment, save for files that are somehow machine-specific - though these would be system files, and I'm really not concerned with those, I just want to be able to access old versions of user files - but from the MBAir now rather than the defunct MBPro.

Lots of things are different. There are various identifiers added to hard disk so each machine cannot directly use the same Time Machine backup. It is not based on computer name. When you inherit a backup major changes are made.. and I don't know what the implications of all of those changes are.. but we have found Time Machine is increasingly fragile.

If you really wish to make the Air identical to the Pro you can do it. Let me explain.

Do use the SSD from the pro and plug it into the Air and boot from it.. if that works well.. very well.. and you can then also access the backups.. clone the Pro drive to the Air having cloned the Air drive somewhere else. I use Carbon Copy Cloner to do this. It is free to download and use for a month without limits.

Test test test. Once you create a clone of the Air .. boot from it .. so you know it works. Once you are happy it works.. clone the SSD of the Pro which is now working on the Air to the Air internal drive.

From now on I would look for proper archive software.. to hold all the versions of your various files that your constantly referencing because I can guarantee you the day will come when Time Machine does this.

I see it annually if not more often.

You will cry a lot when this happens.

May 21, 2020 1:54 PM in response to LaPastenague

I have genuinely learned a tremendous amount of valuable information from you - thank you! Specifically,

1. While I did realize the Time Machine thins its files periodically, I have found the resolution OK, where for near-past the resolution is high and far-past less so. However, you are right - for those files I really care mostly about (and they are only a few), I should rely on proper versioning software. If you have any recommendations, I'd welcome any advice. In the past, I did do something like this, where independently of Time Machine, I'd use CCC to save certain files on a daily basis. Not proper versioning, but better than nothing.
  2. I never tried just using the Finder to navigate through the TM backups - this is a revelation, thank you! This basically addresses what I wanted, the ability to access my backups and not lose them. And given that they are frozen at this point, they will not suffer from further thinning, a big plus.
  3. I've decided to simply start a new backup with my MacBook Air, for all the reasons you provide and that I can still keep my old backups. I have never seen that Time Machine message that causes crying (and I can see why), and so you've saved me some tears.

Again, thanks so much for your absolutely great advice!

May 20, 2020 11:02 AM in response to joepasquale

LaPastenague is the expert on topics like this, so please wait for his reply. He's in Australia, so it may be awhile due to the time difference.

In the meantime, I'm going to do my best to try to convince you NOT to try to inherit backups, since this is a real mess......even when things are simple and you have a "new" Mac, and have used Setup Assistant or Migration Assistant to set up the new Mac using a backup of the "old" Mac.

If things have been done like this, then the option to "inherit" the old backups or start a "new" backup of the new Mac will automatically appear when you run Time Machine on the new Mac for the first time. I do not know if there is a manual way to tell Time Machine to "inherit" the backups from another Mac. Don't think so, though.

You have a special case, and based on what I know and have tried in the past, it will not be possible to "inherit" the backups.

But, let's wait for the expert on this to respond. I'll keep quiet now and will not post again unless I can add something.

May 20, 2020 2:39 PM in response to joepasquale

What you are doing is very unusual and I don't have direct experience. Unfortunately experimenting is not really an option here because you will really mess up the older backups doing it.

You can inherit one of the backups I guess.. but I am with Bob on this one.. since the computers were synced but never actually connected via Time Machine at any previous point you are likely to damage to current install or the backup or both.

Tell us why?

Is there something lacking in the Air that you need? Or are you simply trying to make the old backup available on the Air? Or???

If you have important business info in the backup first point is to preserve one of the backups at least. That is crucial. Time Machine backups are a lot more fragile than you might think. You can archive the TC for example to a portable USB drive and keep that. Then erase the TC and start Time Machine backup. That will then be specifically for the Air. What we normally recommend to people is to keep this running for say 6 months and then you can also clear USB drive and start using that as well since you are unlikely to need older files.

I do have a suggestion though. Good bad or otherwise it might be worth a go depending on what you are trying to achieve.

Edit.. or pull the existing disk from the MBP if it is still ok and use a suitable USB holder and plug it directly to the Air and boot from it.. that saves all the following mess.

Create a copy of your MBP boot disk to a decent fast USB drive.. even SSD. It only needs to match the size of the drive in the old MBP. You do this by using setup assistant in recovery. So plug the drive into the MBA and boot it to recovery. You will find Time Machine is available there and you can select the backup of the MBP. And be very careful to select the external drive as the target not your boot drive in the Air. This will take several hours and will recreate the MBP boot drive.

Once that completes attempt to boot the Air from this drive. This may or may not work.. but Mac OS is fairly flexible and it is usually able to locate all the necessary drivers etc. As long as the machines are similar enough my experience is that it normally works. If it is successful this will give you a working boot of what is effectively your old Machine and can use the backups without much problems.. making sure you keep at least one backup as archive that will not be harmed. Now you can do anything you like with this setup.. including copy across the updates to any files since the MBP broke down. That also ensures you have access to the old keychain for example and other settings that the sync software may not manage to copy across. This method has got a lot of people out of trouble.. but for long term use I am not sure it is particularly useful so we go back to why are you trying to do this??

May 20, 2020 3:04 PM in response to LaPastenague

I am out of edit time.. but it strikes me you may not realise you can open the old backup and use files from it in the Air.

The problem with inheriting the backup is that all the settings will be switched to the values for the Air.

On the other hand if you migrate settings to the Air you will discover the Air is now basically become the Pro.

Starting clean Time Machine backup for the Air is really essential if you wish to have usable backups long term.

May 20, 2020 6:45 PM in response to LaPastenague

> Is there something lacking in the Air that you need? Or are you simply trying to make the old backup available on the Air?

I would like to be able to retrieve old versions of files (mainly certain user files) if necessary.

> pull the existing disk from the MBP if it is still ok and use a suitable USB holder and plug it directly to the Air and boot from it

But this compromise is a compelling solution, and I appreciate the advice very much.

May 20, 2020 6:54 PM in response to LaPastenague

> but it strikes me you may not realise you can open the old backup and use files from it in the Air.

> The problem with inheriting the backup is that all the settings will be switched to the values for the Air.

> On the other hand if you migrate settings to the Air you will discover the Air is now basically become the Pro.

Again, not sure what you mean by "settings". But again, other than machine-specific files, the two machines looked identical - same email settings, same browser settings, etc.

> Starting clean Time Machine backup for the Air is really essential if you wish to have usable backups long term.

This is an interesting comment, as it seems to imply that by inheriting an old backup, I risk problems as time goes on. I don't see why this should be, but given that you say this is an issue is now cause for concern.

Thanks for the great advice.

How to inherit multiple backup disks to existing Mac (with previously synch'd file system)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.