Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine restore between different MacBook Pros?

I have two identical MacBook Pros, both Mid 2015. On both of them I am running Catalina in one APFS Container and also on both I have another APFS Container with Mojave installed. My reason for doing this was so that I could run Adobe Encore (a 32 bit application) on both machines as required.

I'm calling the two machines A and B.

Unfortunately I recently deleted too many files from the Mojave B machine and Adobe Encore no longer runs on that machine. I also found that the Time Machine backup I thought I had for the Mojave part of the B machine is unusable.

My question is: can I use the Time Machine backup for the Mojave part of machine A to recreate the Mojave part on machine B? ie., Is Time Machine picky as to which machine it restores to? (I don't want to mess things up and make it all worse than it is now)

Thanks in advance for any advice here. 

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 11:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 1:46 PM

Many thanks for the speedy reply!

Rather than mess about I think I'll go straight for the Migration Assistant approach. I've been religiously using Time Machine for years but never had to resort to it so I'm a bit nervous. I imagine it'll just be a question of booting up in Mojave on the B machine and following the relevant instructions and prompts. In any case, I can't make it worse as basically I'm only keeping Mojave on the two machines for that one application.

Thanks again and wish me luck!

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2021 1:46 PM in response to steve626

Many thanks for the speedy reply!

Rather than mess about I think I'll go straight for the Migration Assistant approach. I've been religiously using Time Machine for years but never had to resort to it so I'm a bit nervous. I imagine it'll just be a question of booting up in Mojave on the B machine and following the relevant instructions and prompts. In any case, I can't make it worse as basically I'm only keeping Mojave on the two machines for that one application.

Thanks again and wish me luck!

Jan 28, 2021 11:16 AM in response to briantho

Connecting the other machine's Time Machine disk and trying to enter Time Machine to selectively restore files in that interface might be tricky. Although you say the machines are "identical," the user ID numbers might be different and that might complicate it.

One thing you could do is completely wipe/erase that imperfect Mojave portion on that machine and then use Migration Assistant to basically make it identical to the last Time Machine backup of the other machine's good Mojave portion. That's basically what one does when one acquires a new computer, migrating over another computer's applications, users, files, etc.

I'd make a second backup and test it before embarking on something like this.

Jan 29, 2021 10:08 AM in response to briantho

Now I understand, you are using one computer as a complete backup to the other. Must take a bit of attention to keep them "synchronized," although there are cloud arrangements and software tools to do that.

I would encourage you to keep your separate versioned backups (like Time Machine) going since a problem or error could propagate to the other machine without you realizing it if you keep them synchronized.

Jan 29, 2021 10:27 AM in response to steve626

Actually I do keep them separate and they're not really 100% identical. Not far off though. I tend to do my video editing on one machine (next to the window, where else!) and the other machine is beyond the printers (one of them, believe it or not, is a backup to the other two) next to the DVD burners where it (usually) gets a fair amount of usage. Pretty much swappable if necessary.

Having started programming commercially in 1967 I've seen some catastrophic things happen thus my obsession with backups, redundancy etc. Internet connection here in Switzerland is super reliable and I do have stuff in the cloud but there's practically always a copy off site. Moi, paranoid?!

Jan 29, 2021 10:42 AM in response to briantho

briantho wrote:

Having started programming commercially in 1967 I've seen some catastrophic things happen thus my obsession with backups, redundancy etc. Internet connection here in Switzerland is super reliable and I do have stuff in the cloud but there's practically always a copy off site. Moi, paranoid?!

Not paranoid, in my view. I have worked in software my entire career and have also seen disk disasters, or human errors, where backups were the savior. One impressionable one was a disk pack failed, the backup was inserted into the container (this was back in the 1980s with large disk drives) and it failed immediately too. Because contamination was the cause of the first failure and the dust/particles caused the second platter to fail also. Hence destroying the backup disk. So yes, multiple backups, including different locations. Having duplicate Macs would keep your workflow going in the event of a catastrophic failure of one.

Feb 6, 2021 1:32 AM in response to steve626

"dust/particles" - ouch! Even light can mess things up: in a large 1970s computer room with rows of tape drives and a large, crucial task nearing completion, someone decides to take a flash photo. All the tape drives 'think' they have reached the reflective strip at the end of reel and all begin premature rewinds. Not just 'red eyes' on the photos, red faces too!

Anyway, once again, thanks for your help! All going well with both machines and their Catalina and Mojave containers.

I have a question re. the Time Machine: if I run Time Machine under Catalina ONLY, does that cover my Mojave container too so that if anything untoward happened to the Mojave container then I could restore from that backup?

Or, to make sure, should I run an independent Time Machine periodically within Mojave? (I have lots of spare space)

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Feb 6, 2021 12:30 PM in response to briantho

briantho wrote:

I have a question re. the Time Machine: if I run Time Machine under Catalina ONLY, does that cover my Mojave container too so that if anything untoward happened to the Mojave container then I could restore from that backup?

Or, to make sure, should I run an independent Time Machine periodically within Mojave? (I have lots of spare space)

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

You can configure what Time Machine backs up (includes or excludes) in Time Machine Preferences.

My understanding is that APFS Containers are similar to what we used to call partitions. So you would need to make sure Time Machine has been configured to back up everything if that is what you want.

I don't know if there is a complication from the fact that your Time Machine backup disk is probably HFS+ while you have multiple APFS containers on your source drive.

I think best practice would be to maintain two separate Time Machine backup physical drives, one for your Catalina drive backup, and one for your Mojave drive backup. This may also minimize complications when/if you upgrade to Big Sur.

Time Machine restore between different MacBook Pros?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.