Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'for you' tab in Apple Music "An error occurred" Try again

OSX 10.13.6 (17G5019) High Sierra. MacBook 2011 iTunes12.8.2.3

Just started happening. Logged out and signed back in. Restarted. No luck. Works fine on my iPhone 8Plus.

MacBook Pro 13", 10.13

Posted on Feb 10, 2019 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2019 5:18 PM

update - my "For You" tab started working tonight. However I have a caveat - earlier today I reset my music preferences. I have been trying to do this for awhile, but the newest Apple apps won't let you do that anymore. However, I do have a very old iPad2, with a pretty old version of iOS. The Music app on that one let me reset my music preferences. (i.e. re-do my music bubbles to show genre preferences). After doing that, I'm able to load "For You" in my iTunes. The "For You" recommendations do reflect my new music genres (it's no longer dominated by hip hop and pop - it has lots of rock, alternative, and blues). Anyway, that may be worth a shot if any of you have an old device laying around with an old iOS. But I have no idea how long it's going to last - each time I click on "For You" this evening I am holding my breath.

39 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2019 5:18 PM in response to salomoltres

update - my "For You" tab started working tonight. However I have a caveat - earlier today I reset my music preferences. I have been trying to do this for awhile, but the newest Apple apps won't let you do that anymore. However, I do have a very old iPad2, with a pretty old version of iOS. The Music app on that one let me reset my music preferences. (i.e. re-do my music bubbles to show genre preferences). After doing that, I'm able to load "For You" in my iTunes. The "For You" recommendations do reflect my new music genres (it's no longer dominated by hip hop and pop - it has lots of rock, alternative, and blues). Anyway, that may be worth a shot if any of you have an old device laying around with an old iOS. But I have no idea how long it's going to last - each time I click on "For You" this evening I am holding my breath.

Feb 11, 2019 1:40 PM in response to salomoltres

I have contacted with the apple support and their answer is reinstall the os. However, it doesn't work. I have gone through the Internet and found the problem occurred last July and the issue disappear after an update version of iTunes. I assume this time it is also the problem of the software itself though. I hope I can get some positive feedback after a version update.

Feb 18, 2019 10:31 AM in response to salomoltres

Same with latest iTunes on Windows 10. I've tried both the Microsoft "app", as well as the Apple full install version. I chatted with Apple support, they sent me a link on how to completely uninstall iTunes (pretty through - manually deleting of folders, files, etc)... I did this along with the reboots, and tried a fresh install, still no dice. "For You" bombs. "An Error Occurred. Try Again".

I've tried the sign out / sign in thing mentioned here, doesn't work for me, not even temporarily.

"for you" works great on my iPhone XS and even my super old ancient iPad2 ... but no dice on my Windows 10 machine.

Really frustrating for a service I pay $100/year for. My renewal is up in April, if this is still an issue then, back to Amazon I go.

Feb 18, 2019 10:50 AM in response to diegocharles

Unfortunately Apple doesn’t like being told when their stuff is broken- hence why everyone in this thread is being told to “reinstall iTunes” when they contact support.

Best we can do right now is just wait for an update in my opinion. The problem appears to be widespread enough based on this thread that Apple will hopefully accept that this is a “their problem,” not an “our problem.”

Feb 21, 2019 6:22 PM in response to NichakanChen

yah bummer, it's not available anymore on the newer iOS versions. I was lucky enough to have an old iPad2 laying around, that's like 4 or 5 years old at least. It's way past software update support, so I maxed out on Music app update on that a long time ago. But it still had that option available to me, it seems to have enabled "For You" on my Windows 10 iTunes (for now anyway, we'll see).

'for you' tab in Apple Music "An error occurred" Try again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.