Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating a bar chart in Numbers

Grateful if someone could give me simple instructions for creating a bar chart with dates along the horizontal x axis and bar values on the vertical y axis. An example would be great. I have tried to find out why the two columns of data from the spreadsheet (dates and values) are being inserted as two vertical bars instead of one bar for the value and the date below it. Thanks for your help.

Posted on Feb 11, 2019 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2019 8:34 AM

Add a table that has the first row and first column set as headers (use the top-left selection from the Table menu):

now add some data:

now select the data:

now insert the chart:

Choose the bar chart from the charts menu after you have selected the range of cells that contains your data(choose the top-left chart):

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2019 8:34 AM in response to Community User

Add a table that has the first row and first column set as headers (use the top-left selection from the Table menu):

now add some data:

now select the data:

now insert the chart:

Choose the bar chart from the charts menu after you have selected the range of cells that contains your data(choose the top-left chart):

Feb 12, 2019 12:42 AM in response to Community User

Hi Craig,

Second point first: The chart and the table holding its data are both moveable objects. If you want to print only the chart, the easiest wa to set that up is to select the table and drag it down or right far enough to put it on a second page, then select the chart, expand it by dragging the small square handles at each corner of the rectangle showing the boundaries of this object, then position it on the page where you want it.

To aid in positioning the chart, go to the View menu and choose Show Rulers. Then click in the horizontal ruler and drag down to drag a yellow guide line to what will be the vertical centre of the first page. Repeat to drag a vertical guideline from the vertical ruler to the horizontal centre of the first page.

When you have it positioned where you think it should go, press command-P to open Print Setup.

This gives you a picture of the first page, holding the chart, and the second, to which you have moved the table.

If you need to make further adjustments, click Done to return to the editing view.

First point:

Numbers will place the labels in the header column of your table as category labels along the horizontal axis, and use the label(s) in the header row to label the colour(s) used for the bars charting each series of values. The vertical value axis is labeled with a series of evenly spaced numbers noting the quantities represented by the height of the bars. You can control the number of steps in the value axis using the controls in the Chart inspector.

Any further description can be placed in a text box, This box is not attached to the chart, so it will need to be moved and resized separately from the rest of the chart if you make size adjustments.

For other options, explore the (Chart) Format Inspector.

Do explore the controls in the Inspector.

Regards,

Barry

Feb 12, 2019 3:01 AM in response to Community User

Hi Craig,

I would like to put descriptions on both axes. Not sure whether these should be in the data table or applied somehow after the chart is created.

Do you mean this? Click on the chart to select it.

Format Panel > Axis > Value (Y) > Axis Name

And this for the X axis

To see this

Click on the automatic text box 'Category Axis' and type a description.

Click on the automatic text box 'Value Axis' and type a description.

Those descriptions are attached to the chart and will move with it.

I cannot print just the chart on a single sheet without getting some part of the data set.

Click on the chart to select it.

Menu > Edit Copy (command C) or Cut (command X)..

Insert a new Sheet.

Delete the default table that appears.

Paste (command V).

Print only that Sheet.

Regards,

Ian.

Feb 11, 2019 11:49 PM in response to Wayne Contello

Hello Wayne,

Thanks for your reply. I followed it exactly and it has worked. Great ! This has given me two further problems which I am hoping you can resolve for me. I have 17 dates and 17 bars and they are where they should be on the x and y axes with the dates showing below each bar. I would like to put descriptions on both axes. Not sure whether these should be in the data table or applied somehow after the chart is created. The second point is that the chart has been placed immediately below the data table and unless I can find a way of putting more space between them (something like a page break ?) then I cannot print just the chart on a single sheet without getting some part of the data set. Increasing or decreasing the size of the chart at the print stage to force it on to a new sheet does not solve the problem. Grateful if you can suggest ways round these. Many Thanks.

Craig

Creating a bar chart in Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.