Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File is damaged and cannot be opened

I am running macOs 10.12.6. Suddenly Firefox 65.0 broke down and I was told to delete it and re-install it. I downloaded it from Safari but then I couldn't open the install file. I got the error message: ”The file is damaged and cannot be opened.” I keep getting the same error message when I try to install other apps, including from appStore. I re-installed Os 10.12.6 but the issue remains. I made a control download from apple.com, a pdf called ”Welcome_to_Snow_Leopard.pdf”, but it is ”damaged too”. When I open the same pdf on another Macintosh it opens with no problem.

Mac Pro, 10.12

Posted on Feb 12, 2019 10:23 AM

12 replies

Feb 12, 2019 10:58 AM in response to torbjorn160

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply        Pastebin

Feb 15, 2019 11:48 AM in response to torbjorn160

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit System Preferences.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J.  When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder.  Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist.  Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Feb 15, 2019 12:54 PM in response to Eric Root

Now I have done according to your instructions, but the issues remains.

I recall that this occurred after I the latest Apple Security Update. I have no clue if there is any connection to it.

I think your theory of a corrupt .plist sounds very plausible, or maybe something similar, since the issue is a general one.

It has something to do with opening downloaded installers or files. But the files aren't damaged or corrupt, since they can be opened by other computers in my local network. They seem to be labelled as ”bad” at a core function of the system.

The ”smoking gun” is that weird App Store (only) preference.

Feb 17, 2019 12:23 AM in response to Eric Root

I didn't, but when I did, all went back to normal funktion. So this is what was needed:

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.x

If you view your security settings under System Preferences | Security & Privacy, you will see there is no Anywhere option.

To enable the "Anywhere" option, run the following command in a terminal:

sudo spctl --master-disable

If you go back to System Preferences | Security & Privacy, you will see the Anywhere option enabled. Unlock the edit option by clicking on the padlock icon at the bottom of the window to change to Anywhere option.

At this point, you should be able to install the software.

This security setting affects your whole system. To reinstate the earlier security policy, run the following after the software is installed:

sudo spctl --master-enable

and then check your security settings are as you expect.

File is damaged and cannot be opened

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.