Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2011

My MB Pro is from 2011, unfortunately the person from Apple Support over the phone said Apple can’t fix it because it’s old and they don’t make the parts anymore... and the third party store has closed in Baton Rouge, so I’m resorting to here!

So, originally when i turned my laptop on it went to my login and i logged in. It took SO long to load in the loading bar and it took me to a dark blue screen. Then I tried command+option+p+r, safe boot, holding option, command+r but they all brought me to my blank wallpaper (with nothing on it) or a blue screen with a spinning beach ball. Finally, in MAC OS X Utilities options I updated the software in MacintoshHD (took an hour) and it brought me to my wallpaper and my school work was on there and the icon selections at the top of the screen. The WiFi was not coming up, and my icon bar at the bottom was missing.

I have had to replace the hard drive before back in 2016, so i understand if my computer is just old and it’s dying out. I’m only trying to get in to get my school stuff, any advice would be appreciated!!

Thank you!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 13, 2019 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2019 12:33 PM

... I updated the software in MacintoshHD (took an hour) and it brought me to my wallpaper and my school work was on there and the icon selections at the top of the screen.

It's not clear to me whether your school work is accessible or not, but those symptoms are consistent with a hard disk that needs to be replaced again. They are not difficult or prohibitively expensive to replace yourself, but your first order of business is to secure your essential files such as your schoolwork. Assuming those files remain intact, create a Time Machine backup while you still can: Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac.

If you already have a backup, then no worries, replace the hard disk. If you want to do that I recommend replacing it with a SSD instead, but be sure to get one from a manufacturer known to support Macs. The only SSDs I use and can personally recommend are manufactured and sold by OWC / MacSales. Their 1 TB "Mercury Extreme Pro 6G" SSDs are now around $250 or so... the cheapest they've ever been.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2019 12:33 PM in response to annemichael162

... I updated the software in MacintoshHD (took an hour) and it brought me to my wallpaper and my school work was on there and the icon selections at the top of the screen.

It's not clear to me whether your school work is accessible or not, but those symptoms are consistent with a hard disk that needs to be replaced again. They are not difficult or prohibitively expensive to replace yourself, but your first order of business is to secure your essential files such as your schoolwork. Assuming those files remain intact, create a Time Machine backup while you still can: Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac.

If you already have a backup, then no worries, replace the hard disk. If you want to do that I recommend replacing it with a SSD instead, but be sure to get one from a manufacturer known to support Macs. The only SSDs I use and can personally recommend are manufactured and sold by OWC / MacSales. Their 1 TB "Mercury Extreme Pro 6G" SSDs are now around $250 or so... the cheapest they've ever been.

MacBook Pro 2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.