Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

fcpx 10.4.5

At last I have time to capture many hours of VHS and Hi-8 tape footage for archiving and editing on my iMac, under Mojave. I have a trusty and until now excellent Canopus ADVC-110. It seems I can capture footage on iMovie but not on FCPX. Is there anything I can do to persuade this set up to capture directly into FCPX or failing that is there a way I can capture via iMovie and then import the captured footage to FCPX?

iMac 27", 10.14

Posted on Feb 13, 2019 5:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2019 5:05 PM

Thanks again, Tom. I spent a long time finding that pop up! Eventually I discovered a very small inverted chevron next to the record button which gave me the options I needed. Be warned, however, anyone else out there with similar issues, that selecting the video source is not enough. We also have to specify the audio source to get any sound! In my case, using an ADVC110 it is listed separately for audio and video and both need to be selected for an A/v capture. Next step is to see if such a captured video will import to FCP in a useable form. But if I do nothing else at least I can archive my aged VHS and.Hi 8 tapes before they deteriorate any further. Unfortunately some have already gone, which has demonstrated that some so called HQ tapes are in fact crap. Already a small random sample suggests that age is not correlated to tape deterioration equally. Some, and not necessarily the claimed better ones, have fared much better than others on the shelf! So if you are in a similar position of putting off this job until you have more time, put it off no longer.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2019 5:05 PM in response to unklchas

Thanks again, Tom. I spent a long time finding that pop up! Eventually I discovered a very small inverted chevron next to the record button which gave me the options I needed. Be warned, however, anyone else out there with similar issues, that selecting the video source is not enough. We also have to specify the audio source to get any sound! In my case, using an ADVC110 it is listed separately for audio and video and both need to be selected for an A/v capture. Next step is to see if such a captured video will import to FCP in a useable form. But if I do nothing else at least I can archive my aged VHS and.Hi 8 tapes before they deteriorate any further. Unfortunately some have already gone, which has demonstrated that some so called HQ tapes are in fact crap. Already a small random sample suggests that age is not correlated to tape deterioration equally. Some, and not necessarily the claimed better ones, have fared much better than others on the shelf! So if you are in a similar position of putting off this job until you have more time, put it off no longer.

fcpx 10.4.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.