Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 7 has gone black, is in recovery mode and will not restart/restore.

Hi, any help much appreciated. Our son's iPhone 7 is about six months old, and it stopped working a couple of days ago. He was in the middle of watching something when it froze and then just went to black. Since then I've tried to reboot it using the side button + volume down buttons solution, but nothing, still dead. I then connected it to iTunes on my mac to try and restore it and eventually got the message that iTunes had detected a phone in 'recovery mode' and that I needed to restore the phone before I could use it. Fine, so I tried that but then, finally, I got the error message "The iPhone (NAME) could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (4014)." My iTunes is up to date so have I gone as far as I can. to try and fix this? The official apple advice page https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201444 says that for error codes including this one which still persist, then I need to contact them. So I just thought I'd put this out there to you guys and see if there's anything left to try myself? Thanks very much.

iPhone 7

Posted on Feb 14, 2019 12:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2019 1:37 AM

A 4014 error may indicate a faulty cable or port on the phone.

Try a different cable between your computer and the phone; if that doesn't resolve the issue the phone will likely need repair.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2019 1:37 AM in response to simonweedy

A 4014 error may indicate a faulty cable or port on the phone.

Try a different cable between your computer and the phone; if that doesn't resolve the issue the phone will likely need repair.

iPhone 7 has gone black, is in recovery mode and will not restart/restore.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.