Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What USB Hub to connect USB2 devices on USB3 ports

Hello everyone,

I just changed my old 2011 Macbook Pro for a 2015 Macbook Pro. The old has ports USB2 and the ne one has ports USB3. I am having a lot of problems with the compatibility. ALmost all my devices are USB2, my MOTU sound interface, the USB external HD, etc..

So, should I use a USB2 Hub or a USB3 Hub for my USB2 devices

Posted on Feb 15, 2019 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2019 11:03 AM

I just changed my old 2011 Macbook Pro for a 2015 Macbook Pro. The old has ports USB2 and the ne one has ports USB3. I am having a lot of problems with the compatibility. ALmost all my devices are USB2, my MOTU sound interface, the USB external HD, etc..

Theoretically USB3 is backwards compatible for USB2 .

http://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/usb3

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2019 11:03 AM in response to rudni

Theoretically USB3 is backwards compatible for USB2 .

http://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/usb3

Feb 15, 2019 1:06 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you for your answer leroydouglas. At this moment (just now) I can use the audio interface plugged alone on the left USB port of the MBP. In the Right USB port I have an USB2 powered Hub where I plug an apple keyboard and a mouse. If I want to plug an external usb HD (WD Elements SE) non powered on the Hub the power is not enough and the HD doesn't work. If I plug or unplug something when the audio interface is working the connection between the interface and the computer is lost. I used to have the same configuration on my old 2011, I can plug or unplug my HD when my protools were running without problem and now is almost impossible for me. I guess it is a compatibility. Because that my question. Is better use USB2 hub to plug my usb2 devices or an USB3 hub. I know the speed on both cases will be the USB2 speed but I don't know if there is any other convenience or inconvenience.

What USB Hub to connect USB2 devices on USB3 ports

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.