Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave automatic login issues

I recently updated to a new (still only a 2017 model) Mac for home from an older 2013 model. It came with Mojave already installed. After using the migration assistant to copy files and settings across, the entire system crashed and it would not reboot. I had to call Apple Support and eventually got it started again in Recovery Mode at least to reinstall the system software.

However, now every time I restart I have to enter a password. Under Security & Privacy the "Require password" is unchecked and "Disable automatic login" is unchecked and greyed out. It is also set to automatically log in as my account in Users & Groups. It seems like this is a recurring issue through various system iterations - there's a similar post from 2006.

I know it only takes a few seconds to enter a password, but if there are 'options' to bypass this, then why don't they work? Is this a sign that something else is wrong? Just a bit annoying when this machine is for home use only - I should not have to prove that it's me logging in.

Any other suggestions welcomed.

Posted on Feb 15, 2019 2:27 PM

5 replies

Feb 15, 2019 3:56 PM in response to dialabrain

I just made a new dummy account, set that to automatically log in and got the attached message. I turned OFF Automatic login at this message (for the existing account), and then in the preferences set it to automatically log in as the new account (and entered the new password). With a restart, the new account came up without having to enter a password again. I tried a few things, and of course all the settings were reset and software licences were not valid - it was like a new computer. Not ideal... 

I went back to preferences and reset the old account to automatically log in (enter password). No alert message. Restarted, without having to enter a password. 

I have restarted (with my usual account) a couple of times with no need to enter a password now. So, it might be fixed! Maybe some bug with a hangover from the migration? 

Thanks for the suggestion!

Mojave automatic login issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.