Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Auto login

New mac mini MI migrated from old 10.15 mini; cannot get it to allow auto login. I am the only user, listed as admin. Tried 100 times, added new user w/admin, didn't work (deleted additional user). Any ideas

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 4:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 5:02 PM

G510 Said:

"Auto login: New mac mini MI migrated from old 10.15 mini; cannot get it to allow auto login. I am the only user, listed as admin. Tried 100 times, added new user w/admin, didn't work (deleted additional user). Any ideas"

-------

What to Try:

A. Use this Link: Set your Mac to automatically log in during startup - Apple Support

B. Try Safe Mode:

In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and corrupt system files(i.e. caches) are intentionally reset as a way to fix issues

1. Boot: in to Safe Mode: [Hold Down: shift key upon boot].
  2. Log in: as same user
  3. Wait: 30 Seconds
  4. Restart: the Mac normally
  5. Try this Once More

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2021 5:02 PM in response to G510

G510 Said:

"Auto login: New mac mini MI migrated from old 10.15 mini; cannot get it to allow auto login. I am the only user, listed as admin. Tried 100 times, added new user w/admin, didn't work (deleted additional user). Any ideas"

-------

What to Try:

A. Use this Link: Set your Mac to automatically log in during startup - Apple Support

B. Try Safe Mode:

In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and corrupt system files(i.e. caches) are intentionally reset as a way to fix issues

1. Boot: in to Safe Mode: [Hold Down: shift key upon boot].
  2. Log in: as same user
  3. Wait: 30 Seconds
  4. Restart: the Mac normally
  5. Try this Once More

Nov 28, 2021 1:23 AM in response to TheLittles

1. > Wait: 30 Seconds

When troubleshooting and sometimes after major updates I do a routine maintenance voodoo (reset SMC & PRAM, safe-boot (*), and in Recovery mode check First Aid for the device and all containers and volumes under it (**)).

(*) Previously I safe-booted and logged in but lately I have booted only to the login screen thinking that user caches are not cleared. But maybe I should log-in to make safe-boot more effective?

(**) Maybe checking First Aid only for the container(s) does the same thing? Device shows the S.M.A.R.T. status, though.

Auto login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.