Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages very slow on Mojave whenever I start up the app

Apple developers, please help. There's like 10 seconds of non-responsiveness in the app on the Mac. It used to be much faster on High Sierra.

MacBook Pro 15", 10.14

Posted on Feb 15, 2019 3:26 PM

2 replies

Feb 17, 2019 6:31 AM in response to not_personal_information

Hello not_personal_information,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that the Messages app is slow to start after updating to macOS Mojave. Restarting your Mac into safe mode and then restarting as normal may help. The following article will provide you with the steps needed to restart in safe mode:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Best Regards.

Apr 2, 2019 1:50 PM in response to not_personal_information

It may be related to how many contacts you have in your Contact App. Or if your Contact App is also pulling in contacts from other accounts (e.g. Gmail accounts). I would suggest going to Preferences/Internet Accounts and unchecking all of the accounts that are being accessed for Contacts. Then see if it still lags and gives you a beachball when you're trying to type or change messages. If so, then it's probably got an issue plowing through thousands of contacts.

As far as I know, there is no fix for this in Mojave, but I'm told they may be working on one.

Messages very slow on Mojave whenever I start up the app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.