Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can apple watch stream music without phone nearby?

Seems to me that apple allows streaming of all other music on their phones, but with my new apple watch with cellular service, i am not having success in streaming music. I dont want to download a playlist. What are my options?

Apple Watch Series 4, 5

Posted on Feb 17, 2019 9:30 AM

6 replies

Feb 17, 2019 4:55 PM in response to Streaming_music_on_watch

From

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205547

If your iPhone and Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS + Cellular) or Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) are both connected to a cellular network, your watch can do everything that it normally does, even if your iPhone isn't with you.(1)
(1)To receive SMS from third-party apps, MMS from third-party apps, or push notifications from third-party apps on your cellular model of Apple Watch, your paired iPhone must be powered on and connected to Wi-Fi or cellular, but it doesn't need to be nearby. You also need to be signed in to iMessage on your iPhone.

I think the basic point is that your Apple Watch needs to be able to find your iPhone via the cellular network and then you do everything on your Apple Watch that you can do if your iPhone is nearby, including stream music.

NOTE: I only know of Apple Music streaming that work. If you use some other music streaming service, you need to check with them to see if they have an Apple Watch app and if the app actually streams music on the Apple Watch or is just an interface to control the streaming on the iPhone (I think this is what Spotify does).

Feb 18, 2019 5:27 AM in response to BobHarris

Thanks for the info. Pandora app works but phone has to be near. Apple Music works but phone also needs to be near. I think the watch normally only stores music, like an ipod. I spent 2 hours on the phone with apple yesterday to troubleshoot, because they told me it was possible. At the end of the call they referred to the forums and told me it looks like it isnt possible. Going into store today to see what they say! Thanks for your help.

can apple watch stream music without phone nearby?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.