Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading to Mojave

I have a Mac Pro (mid 2010). I’d like to upgrade to Mojave from Snow Leopard. From what I’m reading, I will need to upgrade to High Sierra 10.13.6 first. Then I can upgrade to Mojave. There is a glitch. I need to buy a ‘recommended metal-capable’ graphics card that works with Mojave. My current card is ATI Radeon HD 5750. This is a list of graphic cards that are compatible with my Mac according to Apple Support.

• MSI Gaming Radeon RX 560 128-bit 4GB GDRR5
  • SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5
  • SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition
  • NVIDIA Quadro K5000 for Mac
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Mac Edition

These are listed as being ‘possibly’ compatible.

• AMD Radeon RX 560
  • AMD Radeon RX 570
  • AMD Radeon RX 580
  • AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
  • AMD Radeon RX Vega 56
  • AMD Radeon RX Vega 64
  • AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100
  • AMD Radeon Frontier Edition 

Has anyone had experience with this situation? Can you use a graphics card that is a newer edition than what is listed here to accomplish the goal?

Thank you,

Margo

Posted on Feb 17, 2019 2:32 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Feb 17, 2019 2:39 PM in response to Mlawton13

What are you planning to use the upgraded MP for?

WIll it use the GPU for calculations"

How much do you want to spend?

I installed a Radeon RX 580 in my MP 4.1 with firmware of 5.1. It is a PC card so no boot screen so that without reinstalling the original GT 120 I can't do Recovery boot and some other special startups.

My 580 came from my PC

Feb 17, 2019 3:05 PM in response to lllaass

Thanks for responding! I’m not doing anything fancy. I got a new job that requires the newest OS if I use a Mac. My MP has a 27” screen, which is something I desperately need to function well. I miss my dual screens from my old job. I’m currently limping along with a 15” screen on a laptop - toggling back and forth between open windows - until I make a decision. It may be buying a new laptop with a larger screen or an extra screen.

Feb 18, 2019 7:22 PM in response to Mlawton13

I bought a GTX 680 and everything is working fine. Everything EXCEPT the Cuda drivers. I was all excited to see the improvement in my professional audio software. NO GO. There are no Cuda drivers for Mojave. From what I understand there is bad blood between Apple and Nvidea. GET OVER IT! Life is short, let us have the tools we have paid for WORK! I am dismayed by this lack of support for your customers. This is not the way to cultivate a customer base for your new Mac Pro.....

Upgrading to Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.