Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad won't charge after automatic update in iOS12

This was a problem with many iPad iOS11 installations but seems to be back. I have allowed the sublease updates over the last couple months since Apple announced some security issues. The last update did something to the batter or lightning or something. It updated last week and it stopped charging. I did not notice it until the device went to update again this morning but would not because it was below the 50% charge level. I plugged it in and it would not charge - seems like it has not been charging since the last update.

I contacted Apple Support and the rep asked me some questions and went into the usual take it in. This is a 2017 iPad Pro that is just right outside warranty. The last time this happened some users said try flipping the charge cable but that has done nothing this time. I am using the Apple cable and wall charger that came with the device so it is really screwy to be working and then suddenly not at all after an update.

iPad Pro, 12

Posted on Feb 17, 2019 6:06 PM

10 replies

Feb 17, 2019 6:18 PM in response to DkDaye

If you have another cable or charging brick try them. If that doesn't change anything, reboot your iPad.

Press and hold BOTH the power and home buttons at the SAME time (keep holding past the swipe to shut down) until the Apple Logo appears, then let go and your iPad will restart.

Read this link for other suggestions: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201569

If still no luck, then yes, schedule an appointment at your Apple Store Genius Bar for evaluation.

Feb 17, 2019 7:21 PM in response to lobsterghost1

I saw a couple posts about 12.1.4 causing a problems when not completely installed properly. This does not mirror my situation I wonder if 12.1.4 FIXES a problem and since the update did NOT occur could that have caused the problem. If but for the battery being under 50% and the charger not being detected I stands to reason something was wrong with the PREVIOUS update which was last week as best I can tell that caused this problem and since I was not able to update and now the battery is 0% it will not boot up.

I guess I do have to visit the Genius Bar but if this is a company-created problem I should not have to pay for it (literally since this tablet is out of warranty).

Feb 23, 2019 6:57 PM in response to DkDaye

Hi so I’ve had this problem since the update too cold and Apple they looked it over the diagnostics through mirror imaging my iPad Pro minute appointment with Apple at the Genius Bar they went through it couldn’t find the problem replaced it for me and it still has no way to charge they have not seen this problem coming up there not heard about this at all and they have no way to fix it

iPad won't charge after automatic update in iOS12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.