Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password required to enable Touch ID - every time I log in

My laptop (MacBook Pro, 13in 2016, 4 thunderbolt-3 ports, macOS v 10.14.3) has recently starting requiring my password every time I unlock the screen. It tells me that the Password is Required to Unlock TouchID, but TouchID is never enabled. If I wait until the screen locks (just a couple of minutes) I am again required to enter my password. TouchID is not an option.

At the same time, after entering my password there is a significant delay before logging me in. On the order of 30 seconds or more. This started at the same time.

Any idea what is going wrong?

MacBook Pro 13", 10.14

Posted on Feb 18, 2019 2:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2019 8:36 AM

Hello drnuke,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand you aren't able to use Touch ID to unlock your iPhone. I can help with this.

Make sure none of these apply to your situation. I suggest trying a couple of things to get this fixed.

Use Touch ID on your Mac - Apple Support

Learn more about Touch ID

You can use Touch ID to control accessibility features on your Mac:

• Triple-press Touch ID to display the Accessibility Options window.
  • Hold the Command key and triple-press Touch ID to toggle VoiceOver on and off.

In some situations, you need to enter your password instead of using Touch ID:

• If you've just restarted your Mac
  • If you've logged out of your user account
  • If your fingerprint isn't recognized five times in a row
  • If you haven't unlocked your Mac in more than 48 hours 
  • If you've just enrolled or deleted fingerprints

If you still need help unlocking your Mac with Touch ID, follow these tips. Try again after each one:

• Make sure that your fingers are clean and dry.
  • Moisture, lotions, sweat, oils, cuts, or dry skin might affect fingerprint recognition. Certain activities can also temporarily affect fingerprint recognition, including exercising, showering, swimming, or cooking.
  • Your finger should cover Touch ID completely. While Touch ID is scanning, don't press down or move your finger.
  • Try setting up a different fingerprint.

Take care.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2019 8:36 AM in response to drnuke

Hello drnuke,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand you aren't able to use Touch ID to unlock your iPhone. I can help with this.

Make sure none of these apply to your situation. I suggest trying a couple of things to get this fixed.

Use Touch ID on your Mac - Apple Support

Learn more about Touch ID

You can use Touch ID to control accessibility features on your Mac:

• Triple-press Touch ID to display the Accessibility Options window.
  • Hold the Command key and triple-press Touch ID to toggle VoiceOver on and off.

In some situations, you need to enter your password instead of using Touch ID:

• If you've just restarted your Mac
  • If you've logged out of your user account
  • If your fingerprint isn't recognized five times in a row
  • If you haven't unlocked your Mac in more than 48 hours 
  • If you've just enrolled or deleted fingerprints

If you still need help unlocking your Mac with Touch ID, follow these tips. Try again after each one:

• Make sure that your fingers are clean and dry.
  • Moisture, lotions, sweat, oils, cuts, or dry skin might affect fingerprint recognition. Certain activities can also temporarily affect fingerprint recognition, including exercising, showering, swimming, or cooking.
  • Your finger should cover Touch ID completely. While Touch ID is scanning, don't press down or move your finger.
  • Try setting up a different fingerprint.

Take care.

Apr 28, 2019 3:58 PM in response to edwolb

I personally have Never got this Touch ID to work. For a few web pages Safari will login to the web site. For Unlocking the computer it does not work never has. IF I enable in the Control panel, then close and re open the control panel that option has un checked it self. So I must be missing something because far as I can tell unlocking with your finger print on a new mac book 13 inch touchbar 2018 is not available.

The Options are there they just don't work.

I can Unlock with my apple watch that feature works.

Any one reading this have you been able to use a finger print to unlock your Mac book? IF so how do you keep the option checked in System prefs'

Thanks.

May 26, 2019 4:49 PM in response to dudleydogg

I have the same issue, and I am looking for an answer. Apple watch unlock works every time, If I am not wearing a watch the touch id option is available maybe half the time. Its super annoying I spent more for the touch Id feature specifically and like all the other posts here and the other threads I've read, none of the reasons giving apply to me. I didn't restart, I didn't add or delete finger prints, It asks for the password only a few hours after last use, I haven't logged out and it didn't give me the option to use touch Id in the first place.

Password required to enable Touch ID - every time I log in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.