Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Movement Calories

I've noticed that when climbing hills - which involves slow movement but high heart rate - there are no changes on exercise calories on the circle. Only movement and standing circles change.

I'm using Apple Watch 3 with iPhone XS Max. Both on latest firmware.

Any ideas?

John

Posted on Feb 18, 2019 6:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2019 6:53 AM

Do you have a workout session running? If not, try starting one. This is especially important if you're not letting your arms swing as you climb.

Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 18, 2019 7:05 AM in response to John of Dublin

The article I linked to says this (italics mine):

If you need both hands while walking, for example to push a stroller, you can still earn Exercise credit with the Workout app. Open the app on your Apple Watch and tap Outdoor Walk. The Activity app relies on arm motion and an accelerometer to track movement, but the Workout app can use the accelerometer, the heart rate sensor, and GPS.

Feb 18, 2019 7:01 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks. Well, I think I had the walking app running one time. I'll have to check. But next time I'll try it perhaps with the hiking app and see what happens.

As you say I think the problem is related to lack of swinging arms when climbing. I'm not sure if these apps allow for that but I'll certainly try. I'm wondering if these walking or hiking workout modes take account of the high heart rate but low forward movement.

Thanks I'll report back soon.

John

Apple Watch Movement Calories

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.