Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"damaged file" can not select "Allow apps downloaded from:" "App Store and identified developers"

Hello -

I have Mojave 10.14.3 installed on my touch-bar MacBook Pro.

When I restart the computer, a pop-up says I need to install java xx.xx

When I click on the 'more info' link, this web page opens: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US

After downloading, I get the message when attempting to open the .dmg file: “javaforosx.dmg” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash.

I've looked for solutions on the web and haven't found one. When I open "System Preferences > Security & Privacy", unlock to make changes, select "Allow apps downloaded from: App Store and Identified developers", it does not 'stick'. That is, going to another preference pane then returning to "Security & Privacy" shows "App Store" (without 'and identified developers') selected.

I tried running a terminal command that supposedly restores the "Anywhere" option, but that did not work, either.

The only thing that I can think of is that I run the free version of Avast Security. Might this be causing the problem?

Thanks for any help you can provide -

Doug

MacBook Pro w/ Touch Bar (2018 or later)

Posted on Feb 19, 2019 6:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2019 7:36 AM

Reinstalling macOS is justified: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Using Avast's uninstaller will remove it completely (an anomaly among similarly categorized junk) but undoing the effects of actually having used it is another story altogether, so don't be disappointed if it does not resolve that problem.

Reinstalling macOS does not affect your User Account information or data. In other words it's harmless, but you should create a backup anyway as a fundamental prerequisite. To learn how to use Time Machine please read Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac.

If you had created one prior to installing "Avast" a Time Machine backup would also provide the ability to recover from having used it. I neglected to ask if you have a backup, but if you do restoring it would clearly the most attractive option.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2019 7:36 AM in response to doogles

Reinstalling macOS is justified: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Using Avast's uninstaller will remove it completely (an anomaly among similarly categorized junk) but undoing the effects of actually having used it is another story altogether, so don't be disappointed if it does not resolve that problem.

Reinstalling macOS does not affect your User Account information or data. In other words it's harmless, but you should create a backup anyway as a fundamental prerequisite. To learn how to use Time Machine please read Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac.

If you had created one prior to installing "Avast" a Time Machine backup would also provide the ability to recover from having used it. I neglected to ask if you have a backup, but if you do restoring it would clearly the most attractive option.

Feb 19, 2019 6:36 PM in response to doogles

I don't know the reason that System Preference doesn't "stick". It could be a consequence of "Avast" having changed User Permissions. The way to correct that is to follow this Apple Support document: Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in ...

That explanation just doesn't seem right to me though. macOS's Gatekeeper will report "damaged" for other reasons as well, such as a system time and date that is not correct. Confirm that it is, because a system date and time that are not approximately correct will wreak all sorts of havoc. Setting System Preferences to "set date and time automatically" will preclude that uncertainty.

Try deleting that .dmg file and downloading it again. The size of the one I downloaded from that link, as reported by Get Info is 51,092,806 bytes (51.3 MB on disk). Presumably the one you have should be exactly the same.

Feb 19, 2019 6:20 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks, John -

I had uninstalled Avast prior to your response but that didn't resolve may problem. I did a full shut-down / restart to be sure. I promise never to install it or anything like it again. I pinky swear : )

Any thoughts about how to fix the problem of my System Preferences / Security and Privacy "Allow apps downloaded from: App Store and Identified Developers" choice not sticking? Defaults back to "App Store" even after re-locking the lock. See attached screen capture.

Thanks in advance -

Feb 22, 2019 7:18 AM in response to John Galt

Hi, John -

Again, thanks for your help! I finally got around to doing what you suggested regarding resolving permissions issues (using Terminal) but that didn't solve the problem. I confirmed that my "set date and time automatically" was checked and that the date and time are correct.

After more searching, I found a "Terminal" solution but I think it bypasses Gatekeeper altogether. I typed this:

sudo spctl --master-disable

This action changed my Security & Privacy settings to this and allowed me to install the software (no more 'damaged file' warning):

The problem is that when I click the "App Store and Identified Developers", go to another preference pane then return to "Security & Privacy", it automatically toggles back to "Anywhere". Argh. Entering this command returns me to the problematic place I was in the first place but I feel comfortable that Gatekeeper is restored:

sudo spctl --master-enable

I'm thinking of just waiting for the next OS X update to see if that might fix the problem. In the meantime, I'll use the Terminal commands when I need to install trusted software.

Thoughts?

Thanks -

Doug

Feb 19, 2019 5:31 PM in response to doogles

The only thing that I can think of is that I run the free version of Avast Security. Might this be causing the problem?

Yes. Rule 1 of Macs is don't install junk.

Uninstall "Avast" according to its instructions. Never install it, or anything like it, ever again.

For your information that file downloaded and installed on this Mac without any difficulty. It is unaffected by non-Apple "anti-virus" junk.

"damaged file" can not select "Allow apps downloaded from:" "App Store and identified developers"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.