Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store doesn't detect many downloaded app (and doesn't show updates)

Hi,

MacOS Mojave 10.14.6.

The AppStore application doesn't detect many Application I downloaded from itself (Microsoft Outlook and Pixelmator for example) and, and as a consequence, it doesn't show me the updates.

Usually, when you see an installed App from AppStore there's near the icon the "OPEN" button. In my case I see the "DOWNLOAD" icon.

I don't have the problem in all app but in many.

Before posting I tried: manually download one app, restart, logoff and login from App Store, delete App Store cache from Library\Caches but nothing.

I suppose I have the this problem from the last Mac OS update and....I don't want to update to Catalina yet!

Anyone can help me?

Thank-you

Posted on Nov 9, 2019 5:09 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Nov 13, 2019 8:55 AM in response to FrancescoItaly

Hello FrancescoItaly,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities! I understand your App Store isn't detecting some apps that you've already downloaded. I'm happy to assist you with this.

Let's test this issue in safe mode. Boot into safe mode and download your apps. Restart the Mac and check to make sure the Mac still detects the apps downloaded:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Best Regards.

Nov 13, 2019 12:49 PM in response to FrancescoItaly

Hello again FrancescoItaly,

Thanks for the update. I'm happy to continue working with you on this.

Let's test this issue in a new user account to see if this is something specific to your user account or if the issue is system-wide: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

If the issue happens in both user accounts, reinstall your macOS:

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

I hope this helps.

Nov 16, 2019 10:09 AM in response to FrancescoItaly

As my previous post I solved by uninstalling and reinstalling apps.

But…for apps that require a lot of downloaded data (Outlook for example) if you delete the app you have to download the entire data and restore all settings.

I found a way to avoid this, the steps are te follows, I take Outlook for example:

• On finder properties, enable the file extensions
  • Go to application folder
  • Select "Microsoft Outlook.app" , remove the extension and add a suffix (Microsoft Outlook.app > "Microsoft Outlook_old”
  • Download Outlook from App Store
  • Open Outlook
  • Delete the renamed app “Microsoft Outlook_old” and delete it from recycle bin
  • That's all

Bye

App Store doesn't detect many downloaded app (and doesn't show updates)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.