You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange External Drive Icons in Finder Sidebar...anyone know why?

Hi there,

I have 4 external drives connected to my iMac. But I noticed recently that the little drive icons in the Finder sidebar show like black chat bubbles or teardrop icons. If i check the drives in Disk Utility they are fine and the icons for the drives are there as expected. The correct icons show fine on my desktop and there is no issue with accessing or writing data to any of them.

I have tried everything to bring the drive icons back to the sidebar. Switching off/on in preferences, disconnecting and reconnecting drives, reboot and reconnect and nothing seems to work.

Has anyone come across this behaviour before? Anyone no how to bring them back? i know it is a minor thing, but it just bugs me. ;)

iMac 27", 10.14

Posted on Feb 19, 2019 7:52 AM

3 replies

Mar 12, 2019 10:46 AM in response to craigriches

Well, I just went to "/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources", and at first glance, there are no Finder icons in there that look like that. That leads me to believe that those strange icons are not being generated by the system itself, but by something else.

What I would try to do next is to check and see if you have any LaCie-related apps on your hard drive anywhere. You probably do.

If so, to determine if that is where those icons are originating, I would hover over the app, right-click, and select "Show Package Contents".

Then open the "Contents" folder, followed by the "Resources" folder, and view the window in "icon" mode. If LaCie is generating those icons, you might find them in there.

If you do find the "bubble icon" there, at least you will know what app it is associated with, and that it is safe, and not something unscrupulous.

As to how to revert them back to the actual drive icon, I have been scouring the Internet a bit for you, and have found nothing.

Mar 12, 2019 10:52 AM in response to WordWeaver777

Thanks for your feedback and efforts. However, I am seeing this icon even if it is a mounted DMG file.

So it doesn't seem related to just LaCie external drives

It is very odd because it is only appearing in the Finder sidebar. If you go into Disk Utility for instance you can view the external drives or a DMG mounted file and it shows correctly with the correct icon.

Odd huh?

Mar 12, 2019 11:02 AM in response to craigriches

And I assume that just relaunching the Finder doesn't help either, right?

You know, there are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of .icns files on your hard drive, so it will be virtually impossible to discover exactly where that icon is originating from, and with what it is associated. It could even be the result of some weird incompatibility between the OS and something else. Maybe it is even some kind of Finder corruption. If you want to be adventurous, you might even want to go into ~/Library/Preferences and delete any Finder related prefs, reboot your Mac, and see what happens. But that is up to you.

Strange External Drive Icons in Finder Sidebar...anyone know why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.