You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get external hard drive to stay in Finder sidebar

I can drag my external hard drive icon onto the sidebar of my Finder window as a shortcut (just like the Applications, Documents, Macintosh HD, and various other system folders, etc.)...but as soon as I eject the drive or restart the Finder sidebar removes this shortcut/icon.

This is a new behavior. This drive used to stay there through ejections and restarts ... I had it like this for many months. I've dragged the icon from the Finder back onto the window and it stays there while I'm working, but then when I eject the drive or restart the computer, it disappears again.

Any idea how to make this stick forever (again)?

Thanks!

Posted on Aug 28, 2020 4:04 PM

3 replies

Aug 28, 2020 4:57 PM in response to BDAqua

It didn't have the checkmark next to it, it had the minus sign... so I changed to checkmark.

That added the "Recents" and "Creative Cloud Files" (from Adobe Creative Cloud) and I removed both of those by dragging off the sidebar in a finder window. That changed the checkmark back to a minus sign. I am hoping that solved it for my external drive I'm wanting to keep on the sidebar for good, and also keep the Creative Cloud Files off the side bar. We'll see!

How to get external hard drive to stay in Finder sidebar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.