Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Mac mini 2018 Woes!! Logic Pro X issues

Hello all!

I'd like to start out by saying this has been the worst experience I have ever had with any Apple product. I've been using Mac's since they had floppy discs. Anyways.... I bought a new I7 32gb 512GB Mac mini to replace my 2012 Mac mini dual core i5. The old machine was just getting really slow, and figured this upgrade would be night and day. This machine is 95% Logic Pro X dedicated.

First issue, right out the box, can't sign into the App Store. On the phone with customer service for an hour, finally figure it out, and can finally start to download Logic Pro X.... ok super annoying but ok. Download all my software, samples, etc.

Finally get Logic up and running and it keeps having core audio disconnects. Super slow and keep getting the spinning ball. Restart a few times and it seems to smooth out a bit. An hour of working in Logic I decide to try and hook up my usb-c dock and hook up my second monitor. BAAM! Logic Pro X complete takes a dump. I re-open Logic and it can't even muster the power to play a 2 track Logic session that it was easily tackling 30 min ago. Keep getting a system overload message after 5 min of spinning balls....

Ok.... maybe the dock and second monitor was an issue. Shut down, and reconfigure to the single monitor and lose the dock. Restart the computer fire up Logic..... same thing. It won't play any session. Bump the Buffer all the way up, play with some more setting and finally get this powerful rig to muster through a two track session. This is a joke, my 7 year old i5 Mac mini would breeze through this.

Even when it was working it was super laggy and slow. This machine should be able to breeze through these sessions.

The good news is, knock on wood, I haven't had any bluetooth or wifi issues. That being said my apple keyboard and mouse are within 1-2 feet of the mini. I'm also on a 5ghz wifi network. My external SSD is hooked up to one of the usb-c ports and is positioned as far away from the mini as I can.

Anyone have similar issues with Logic? This is seriously a let down and am debating returning this machine. I'm sure things will get ironed out but when? Seems like these should have been held back in product testing for a bit longer...

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Feb 21, 2019 7:15 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Feb 24, 2019 2:37 PM in response to JamesG

James, this is from another thread.

Posted by mikkelbh:

I just realized that it might be an issue related to the display resolution.

I have my Mac Mini hooked up to a Samsung 4k display.

I tried hooking up my old 1080p-display yesterday, and the CPU-load in Logic instantly dropped almost 50%! I spent a few hours working on the 1080-display, and had no CPU issues whatsoever.

I tried hooking up the 4k display again, and the CPU-load went back to spiking and overload messages.

Tried hooking the 4k display up on both HDMI and DP, but with no noticeable difference.

Seems like the issue might be related to screen resolution, then..

And this from Hugh Kremer:

Screen resolution is definitely an issue. When I talked to Apple about

my overload and spiking problems the tech recommended an external GPU if

I’m running 4K, which I am. However, I learned through this or another

forum that if you run your 4K at one of the two native resolutions,

highest or 1920, it will greatly decrease the cpu demands. Do you know

what resolution your 4K was at? I can’t work at 1920, so I have my 32”

4K at the highest resolution. Things are small, but manageable.

Feb 22, 2019 5:15 AM in response to JamesG

A lot of the (audio) issues with the newer Macs (not just the MacMini) are due to the T2 chip that is on the board. This is especially so if you have a USB audio interface.

A couple of things to try to at least alleviate the situation are:

Switching off "Set Time and Date Automatically" and uncheck "Location Sync" in the Timezone tab.

You could also try turning off your WiFi connection when using Logic to see if that helps.

It is a firmware issue with these new T2 equipped MAcs and what I've writen above may help you a bit. Until the issues get addressed in firmware they won't stop happening.

Hope some of this helps.

Feb 24, 2019 1:33 PM in response to JamesG

The problem seems related to the T2 chip overloading the USB2.0 bus. I found the following on Apple Insider.

"Unchecking the time sync only reduces the dropouts. You need to also uncheck the location sync in the Time Zone tab, but even then you're only reducing the dropouts. Any time the T2 chip tries to sync, it will overload the USB2.0 bus, causing dropouts. There is no way any musician should go on stage with a 2018 [Mac] and a USB2.0 audio interface directly connected to it. The only solutions are 1) Get a Thunderbolt or USB3.0 audio interface, or 2) Use a Certified Thunderbolt 3 powered hub (not a bus-powered or cheap non-certified hub) - Cable Matters has a solution for $169 on Amazon, but most of those hubs are at least $200-300. Using a certified TB3 hub creates a separate external USB2.0 bus, in which you can run your USB2.0 audio interface. The cheap hubs do not work because they don't run on the TB3 bus, and therefore they don't create their own separate USB2.0 bus, which means you're going to get dropouts."

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/02/19/pro-audio-glitch-with-t2-equipped-macs-connected-to-usb-20-connections

So, it seems there is a workaround.

Cannot test it myself since my computer doesn't have the T2 ship.

Hope that helps,

WD

Feb 24, 2019 4:15 PM in response to JamesG

It looks like it is related to the Time Daemon (timed process) pausing/unpausing Core Audio at some frequency. Some users report that killing the Time Daemon solve the problem. This may explain why unchecking time sync reduce the dropouts. How this is related to the T2 chip, I don't understand yet.

You can kill (Quit) the timed process in Activity Monitor for users who know what I'm talking about. Please report back here of the results. Be aware that you have to kill it again when you restart the OS.

Hope that helps,

WD

New Mac mini 2018 Woes!! Logic Pro X issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.