Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I delete photos from iCloud, will they still be shared?

I want to free up space on iCloud by deleting a large amount of photos, but will the ones I've shared in shared albums still be available if I do this? If not, is there a way to delete all of my iCloud photos except the ones I've shared with other people?

Posted on Feb 22, 2019 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2019 8:44 AM

I just tested this, and it removes it from your All Photos album, and from iCloud Photos, but it does not remove it from the Shared Album.

You can double-check by removing a small group, then check your All Photos in iCloud and your Shared Album where the photos were, and make sure they are still there. However, since Shared Albums do not count against your iCloud Storage, I think they are literally, in two different places.

If you find that the Shared Album is missing the photos you can always quickly restore them from the Recently Deleted Album.

Best,

GB

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2019 8:44 AM in response to Fondor12000

I just tested this, and it removes it from your All Photos album, and from iCloud Photos, but it does not remove it from the Shared Album.

You can double-check by removing a small group, then check your All Photos in iCloud and your Shared Album where the photos were, and make sure they are still there. However, since Shared Albums do not count against your iCloud Storage, I think they are literally, in two different places.

If you find that the Shared Album is missing the photos you can always quickly restore them from the Recently Deleted Album.

Best,

GB

If I delete photos from iCloud, will they still be shared?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.