Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery issues with new iPod touch

I purchased a new iPod touch direct from Apple last month (Jan 19).

Every since ive had it, i’ve experienced battery issues. I turn the device on and the battery indicator is red for a minute or so until it fully wakes up. Also it can say it has less than 20% charge left but if I plug into power, it’ll say it has more for example 26%.

I sent it back to Apple for repair. They received it and the technicians found nothing wrong with it.

I understand and that the battery can drain quickly dependent upon what you do on the device which I don’t have a problem with but having issues where it says it has less charge then upon plugging it in to charge it says there is more in it.

Someone else I know has the same iPod but had no battery isssues.

iPod, iOS 12

Posted on Feb 23, 2019 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2019 3:06 PM

When you first turn the iPod on (from fully off), none of the apps will be running. Therefore, until the battery app starts up, the iPod will give you a low battery reading (this appears to be a default). Don't worry about it.

If you simply put the iPod to sleep, rather than fully off, when you wake it up, the battery app will already be running, therefore, it will then show the correct reading.

When you plug the iPod into power, the charger will then be supplying the battery with additional power, so that's why the battery then reads more than it did. Again, there's nothing wrong. As soon as you unplug the charger the indicator will report lower battery power remaining. Once again, that's to be expected since you have now removed the power that was giving the battery a boost.

Consider this when charging the battery:

• battery indicates 25%
  • plug in charger, battery immediately rises to a considerably higher figure
  • you leave it on charge for a short while
  • indicator gets to (for example) 85% and you then unplug the charger
  • battery immediately drops to (for example) 55%
  • battery drops down to 25% very quickly

Once again, this is to be expected. Think of it like this: imagine you're riding a bicycle and peddling very hard. After a while, your peddling slows down because you're running out of energy (your battery is getting low) and your speed along the road reduces. Then someone comes up behind you and starts pushing you. This gives you extra power and takes pressure off you, so your speed then increases. Now imagine the following scenarios:

1. the assistant stops pushing you after a few seconds, you then have to do all the work and as a result, you slow down again
    2. the assistant keeps pushing you for long enough that you regain all your breath and energy. Eventually, when your assistant does stop pushing you, you can keep going for a much longer time than scenario 1, because your energy level is back to full

The battery is like that.

So - here's a tip: to avoid the battery running down to its previous level within a short space of time, let it fully charge up. Once it has fully charged, there will be a message on the lock screen to tell you that the iPod is 100% charged.

Jessicaann23 wrote:

An "iPod touch" (of an unknown generation), or a 6th generation iPod Touch, which is what you have? I'd take that with a pinch of salt if I were you.

Get on with enjoying your iPod. Okay, it doesn't have the best ever battery run time. If this is an issue, buy a USB power pack that you can take with you. I have one. I suggest at the very least, a 2500mAh one, preferably higher. Smaller ones won't have enough oomph to make it worth your while trying to charge it.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2019 3:06 PM in response to Jessicaann23

When you first turn the iPod on (from fully off), none of the apps will be running. Therefore, until the battery app starts up, the iPod will give you a low battery reading (this appears to be a default). Don't worry about it.

If you simply put the iPod to sleep, rather than fully off, when you wake it up, the battery app will already be running, therefore, it will then show the correct reading.

When you plug the iPod into power, the charger will then be supplying the battery with additional power, so that's why the battery then reads more than it did. Again, there's nothing wrong. As soon as you unplug the charger the indicator will report lower battery power remaining. Once again, that's to be expected since you have now removed the power that was giving the battery a boost.

Consider this when charging the battery:

• battery indicates 25%
  • plug in charger, battery immediately rises to a considerably higher figure
  • you leave it on charge for a short while
  • indicator gets to (for example) 85% and you then unplug the charger
  • battery immediately drops to (for example) 55%
  • battery drops down to 25% very quickly

Once again, this is to be expected. Think of it like this: imagine you're riding a bicycle and peddling very hard. After a while, your peddling slows down because you're running out of energy (your battery is getting low) and your speed along the road reduces. Then someone comes up behind you and starts pushing you. This gives you extra power and takes pressure off you, so your speed then increases. Now imagine the following scenarios:

1. the assistant stops pushing you after a few seconds, you then have to do all the work and as a result, you slow down again
    2. the assistant keeps pushing you for long enough that you regain all your breath and energy. Eventually, when your assistant does stop pushing you, you can keep going for a much longer time than scenario 1, because your energy level is back to full

The battery is like that.

So - here's a tip: to avoid the battery running down to its previous level within a short space of time, let it fully charge up. Once it has fully charged, there will be a message on the lock screen to tell you that the iPod is 100% charged.

Jessicaann23 wrote:

An "iPod touch" (of an unknown generation), or a 6th generation iPod Touch, which is what you have? I'd take that with a pinch of salt if I were you.

Get on with enjoying your iPod. Okay, it doesn't have the best ever battery run time. If this is an issue, buy a USB power pack that you can take with you. I have one. I suggest at the very least, a 2500mAh one, preferably higher. Smaller ones won't have enough oomph to make it worth your while trying to charge it.

Battery issues with new iPod touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.