Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Photos show pictures that I have not yet imported, and are still on my hard drive?

Before importing pictures into Photos I use Image Capture to download the pictures from my phone into a folder in my hardrive. Then I change the file names working with Finder or sometimes with Automator. When I'm done with this, I open Photos and import the pictures from my hardrive (a temp folder in the Pictures folder).

What I notice is that Photos already shows the pictures that I am about to import, with the original name (e.g., IMG0567.jpg".

Are the pictures therefore already in my Photos Library? When I import the pictures with the edited filenames, will I end up with duplicates? Thanks to anyone who can shed some light onto this...

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 23, 2019 1:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2019 2:44 PM

Do you have "My Photo Stream" enabled on both your Mac's Photos library and on your iPhone? If so then that's why you already have the images in your library.

On your iPhone:

In you Mac's library:

Check to see if that's what you have selected.

3 replies

Why does Photos show pictures that I have not yet imported, and are still on my hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.