Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No longer able to log into other computers on my network since Mojave upgrade

I tired doing a search for this on this forum, but the only posts I could find were really old and not about the Mojave update. And all Google searches seem bring up WiFi network issues, but that is not what I am having issues with.

I have two iMacs (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) and one MacBookPro (15 inch, Early 2011). Before I upgraded to Mojave, I could log in any of the computers from any of the other computers. For example, if I was on my iMac, I could see my husband's iMac and my MacBookPro listed under Locations in the panel on the left of the Finder winder. When I clicked on my MacBook, for example, I could click "Connect as" and use my username and password from my MacBook, and have full access to everything on my MacBook. I did this on a regular basis because it was easier to work on some things on the larger screen of the iMac. I also used to do this a lot to help my husband with paperwork or with printing documents.

Both he and I have upgraded our iMacs to Mojave (10.14.3), but the MacBook is currently still on High Sierra (10.13.6). Since we made the switch to Mojave, I can no longer connect to ether his iMac or my MacBook. Nor can I seem to connect to my iMac from any of these machines.

They are no longer listed by default under Locations, as they used to be. I had to double click on Network to get them to show up. But even when I do that, either the connection always fails, or when I do connect, the only thing I have access to is the external hard drives that are connected to that machine. I don't even see shared folders anymore.

The main login for each computer is the administrator login, and when I try to connect to another machine, I connect using the administrator login for that machine. Doing this let me in to all folders on the other computer, not just the shared folders. I have been doing it this way for at least 7 years now (we both had iMacs before these ones), but all of a sudden it no longer works, and the only thing I can think of that has changed is the upgrade to Mojave.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 23, 2019 7:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2019 4:14 PM

SOLVED

Thought I would post, just in case others have this issue too.

To get the two iMacs to communicate with each other, we had to turn off the File Sharing on both, make sure they did not show up under Locations on the Finder screen, then turn them back on. As soon as we did that, both iMacs could see each other, and the MacBookPro could see both of them.

For the MacBookPro, we determined that the issue is that it is still on High Sierra. And because it is late 2011, it cannot be upgraded to Mojave. I can connect to the two iMacs from it and work on/transfer files from them, but neither of them will connect to the MacBookPro. So I would have to upgrade the MacBookPro if I wanted this capability back. I don't think I use it enough to bother, but it is good to know.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2019 4:14 PM in response to MissReena

SOLVED

Thought I would post, just in case others have this issue too.

To get the two iMacs to communicate with each other, we had to turn off the File Sharing on both, make sure they did not show up under Locations on the Finder screen, then turn them back on. As soon as we did that, both iMacs could see each other, and the MacBookPro could see both of them.

For the MacBookPro, we determined that the issue is that it is still on High Sierra. And because it is late 2011, it cannot be upgraded to Mojave. I can connect to the two iMacs from it and work on/transfer files from them, but neither of them will connect to the MacBookPro. So I would have to upgrade the MacBookPro if I wanted this capability back. I don't think I use it enough to bother, but it is good to know.

Mar 8, 2019 9:01 AM in response to MissReena

Just an update to my SOLVED post.

As of this afternoon, all of my machines are now connecting with each other, and I can freely move files around between all of them. I was starting to get the connection issues again today, so I turned the file sharing off on the MBP and on my husband's iMac, then turned them back on. Once I did that, I could connect to every machine from every other machine.

The way to tell if I need to do this is by looking at the top of the Finder window. If it says "Not Connected", then I can successfully log into the other machine. But if it says "Connection Failed", I can only log in if I turn the sharing off and then back on for the machine that failed the connection.

So it appears it is not the High Sierra causing the issues at all. I can connect to it now with no issues, but may have to turn the file sharing off and back on again if I lose any of these connections in the future.

No longer able to log into other computers on my network since Mojave upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.