Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recording input levels

When recording from guitar via an audio interface into GB, I seem to hit a limit on the input recording level. I don't seem to have any compression applied (i.e. no plug-in or pedal effect). My TASCAM interface is set to an inout level just below where the signal 'clips' but if I turn it up, the resultant track recording level is not affected. It seems to have reached a max. The track Recording Level slider is greyed out, as I expect it to be. But yet the track looks like it is compressed or limited in some way:

Note the forced level "cut-off" at +/- 75. (75 what BTW? dB?)

Any help about where I should be looking gratefully received. (This level is plenty loud for my mix, but I am curious about the apparent gating or compression that's seemingly being applied)

Thanks,

D

Posted on Feb 24, 2019 3:01 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Feb 25, 2019 2:41 PM in response to Dedalu5

...some further clues:

• If I turn down the input signal on my audio interface, I can 'shrink' the amplitude of the recorded waveform, but turning up the signal never get's it past the level shown in the pic above (although it does get a lot noisier!)
  • I have opened the track in Logic, and turned off every plug-in and bus: same effect.

I'm wondering now if GB does some auto-compressing, or limiting, to prevent clipping. I can find no other source.

I also realise that the +/-100 vertical scale on the track editor is not dB, but I don't know what the scale actually is and can't find it in the manuals.

Thanks all,

D

Mar 4, 2019 2:17 PM in response to HangTime

Thank you both for your continued interest and support. Sorry I was slow responding but I was away for the weekend. So, in no particular order, my Record Level slider is greyed out, and set to zero - or all the way to the left. The Automatic Level Control checkbox is also greyed out and unchecked. I expected this for exactly the reason HangTim suggested, In fact, from the online Garageband Help:

"If the Recording Level slider is dimmed, you can’t change the input volume in GarageBand. In this case, use the device’s own volume control." That is what I do.

Where my confusion comes, is in the output of the Tascam. The clipped waveform I posted above is the waveform that appears even when the out is turned down to where the red overload light ("O/L") is not even flickering i.e. the signal is being clipped even at an output level below which the interface warns me of overload. If I ignore the red light and whack up the output level, it still appears to clip at the same level but the underlying signal is just way more noisy:

If I continue to turn it DOWN to below the levels above, I can get a clean and perfectly usable signal strength:

Obviously, I have however found some limit of the interface, or the cable, or my old USB2 port, that is causing this clipping at the 75% mark on the scale.

BREAKING NEWS: I have just discovered the source. My interface has a basic mixing capability: you can add a line/mic and a guitar, or two mics, then choose to have a mixed stereo output or two separate outputs for two separate inputs. I had the little switch set to stereo output. The mixer seems aware the only one input was live/plugged so it clearly shows a mono output, unlike the tell-tall dual waves of a stereo output. (The input source is also shown as mono in the dropdown). However, for research, I flicked the switch on the underside of the interface to dual outputs, played the same solo, and got this:

It would appear that I sacrifice gain or signal strength when the interface thinks it's mixing a stereo output. I guess that kinda makes sense, without knowing the actual output dB capability of the line. Anyway, it was definitely the Tascam, and I have definitely found a way to overcome it. And thanks to HangTime's earlier advice, I don't need to...

Thanks again all,

D

Feb 25, 2019 2:48 PM in response to Dedalu5

If I turn down the input signal on my audio interface, I can 'shrink' the amplitude of the recorded waveform, but turning up the signal never get's it past the level shown in the pic above (although it does get a lot noisier!)

what you're describing (and what the waveform you posted seems to show) is clipping. which model interface are you using?

it looks like you're sending a clipped signal to GB

I'm wondering now if GB does some auto-compressing, or limiting, to prevent clipping. I can find no other source.

there is no pre-processing in GB, it records what you send through to it

I also realise that the +/-100 vertical scale on the track editor is not dB, but I don't know what the scale actually is

it's percentage, and you're recording much hotter than need be. hovering around the 50% mark should be a great level for further processing

Feb 25, 2019 3:16 PM in response to HangTime

Ah. It’s your good self: you helped me before, thanks.

I am using a Tascam US-322. Electric guitar to interface, then interface to Mac via USB. I agree with your point about the signal looking clipped. The input signal dial (which is actually the output of the interface) on the Tascam has both a green and red light - the red indicating clipping, often on loud notes or chords for example. You then “dial back” the signal strength to where no red shows, thus varying it for different output pickups, for example. It’s a few years old now and might be limited itself in signal output strength on the guitar line, or the clipping indicator might be less-than-accurate, however it does seem odd that as I turn up and down the signal, it always falls and rises nicely but bumps into that +/-75% level.

Anyway, as you say - and I’ve learned something new - 50% is hot enough. So I won’t burn too many cycles on this given how much else I don’t know! Thanks again for your help.

D

Mar 2, 2019 9:46 AM in response to Dedalu5

Hi D, and I hope you are still open to discussing this because I've been wondering about the waveform height versus input level since recording into Garageband for many years.

The usual goal is to get as hot a signal as possible that sounds clean and isn't clipped. In my experience the Track Recording Level slider in Garageband will reduce the max height available in the waveform. In other words, if you take the slider to anywhere less than max (full right), you can not record to 100%. This confuses me, and I'm going on memory so I could be wrong. I'm going to do some experiments soon to confirm this, but it would explain your case where you get clipping at 75%. The clipping is originating in the Tascam (the occasional red light blips) and the Garageband input slider is squashing the max level to 75%.

I do not understand why your Recording Level slider is greyed out and you did not mention where the slider is set (in the greyed out state). I also wonder what 75%, 100%, etc. means. Dose 100% equate to 0db?

Interesting topic.

Recording input levels

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.