Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login screen only shows guest user account, but not my admin account

Hello. This morning I was having some startup problems with my 2017 27" 5K iMac running Mojave 10.14.3. I think some of the file permissions may have gotten messed up somehow.

I ran Disk Utility, but it did not report any problems.

After that, I shut down the machine, held down the option key, and restarted it in recovery mode.

I chose to reinstall Mojave 10.14.3.

However, after the re-installation of Mojave completed, when I restart my machine, it is only showing the Guest User account, and asking for a password. I have no idea what that password might be. It is my understanding that the Guest User account doesn't even require a password to log in.

I shut down my machine, and then restarted it using my CCC backup drive. The reason why I did this was because I wanted to see if my actual admin account, home library and user files are still on the machine's internal hard drive. They are. Everything is still there. I was concerned that maybe the re-installation of Mojave may have erased everything. But, as I said, that was not the case.

So I have no idea why my machine is only showing the Guest User account, and asking me for a password.

How do I fix this so that the machine automatically boots into my regular admin account like before?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me with this issue.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 24, 2019 3:23 PM

Similar questions

11 replies

Feb 24, 2019 3:48 PM in response to WordWeaver777

Accidentally deleted Admin account

You can create a new administrator account by restarting the Apple Setup.

Even though this Setup Assistant only runs once when you first install Mac OS X / macOS, it remains on your computer and is prevented from running by the presences of a hidden file called <.AppleSetupDone> in a system folder on your Mac.

Therefore, to have the Setup Assistant run again so you can create a fresh admin account, you simply need to remove this file

1. Boot into Single User Mode: Start/restart your Mac. As soon as you hear the startup tone, press and hold ⌘ + S
  2. until you see a black screen with white lettering. (If you end up back
  3. on the login screen after a flash of the black screen with white
  4. lettering, enter your password and it will return to the black screen.)
  5. Check and repair the drive by typing /sbin/fsck -fy then ↩ enter - as directed by the on-screen text.
  6. Mount the drive as read-write by typing /sbin/mount -uw / then ↩ enter.
  7. Remove the Apple Setup Done file by typing
  8. rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone then ↩ enter.
  9. Reboot by typing reboot then ↩ enter.
  10. Complete the setup process, creating a new admin account.

Accidentally deleted the admin user

ref: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/164331/i-dont-have-administrator-account-on-my-mac

ref: How To Recover Lost Admin Rights On macOS High Sierra and Sierra, Mac OS X El Capitan And Yosemite - miapple.me

Feb 24, 2019 5:43 PM in response to WordWeaver777

Well, I just bit the bullet and restored my internal HD from my last CCC backup. Everything is back to normal now . . . I hope. :)

Good computing WordWeaver777 !

Think about turning on Time Machine going forward, it could not be easier—one benefit is the local snapshots.

How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

Boot clone https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-10081

Feb 24, 2019 5:14 PM in response to WordWeaver777

Your Information is still there and it's still recoverable. However the only problem is you'll need a new admin account to get it.

If you create a new admin account using terminal then log into that account, you'll then want to create 1 more admin account with the as the home folder as your previous user account. You should be able to relog into that same account with all your information afterwards.

I would recommend calling Apple Support to walk you through the steps to be honest.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

Feb 24, 2019 3:56 PM in response to leroydouglas

Yes, I already read that info over on apple.stackexchange.com before I posted here, but I wasn't sure if I should go that route.

Question: Is there a way to verify that the admin account has actually been deleted? As I said, if I look in the "Users" folder, my home folder -- and all of its data -- is still there. Doesn't that mean that the admin account still exists?

Feb 24, 2019 4:07 PM in response to WordWeaver777

I chose to reinstall Mojave 10.14.3.

if I look in the "Users" folder, my home folder -- and all of its data -- is still there.

but I wasn't sure if I should go that route.

You must of had admin privileges to re- install the macOS

a 24 hr old CCC backup is a very good back to restore everything as it was—doesn't get any better than that.

Yes If the home folder is still there, than it is still there.

I thought the problem is you do not have admin access to that account ?

Do you see your admin account in the >Log-in

You have your options. Good luck.

Feb 24, 2019 4:13 PM in response to leroydouglas

That is what is so perplexing about this. As I said earlier, while my actual home folder still exists in the "Users" folder, when I reboot my iMac, it automatically shows the Guest User account with a blank password field, and nothing else. There is no option to select my actual admin account.

I reinstalled Mojave by choosing the invisible HD Recovery disk, and had to provide my Apple ID credentials.

Actually, I have made some significant file changes on my hard drive since the last CCC backup.

Feb 24, 2019 11:21 PM in response to leroydouglas

For years now, I have been using CCC to back up my internal hard drive. I like the way that it works. While it doesn't work exactly the same as Time Machine, similar to TM, I can schedule several automatic backups of the same internal HD to occur throughout the day. For example, right now, I back up my internal hard drive to an external USB drive every twelve hours, or twice a day, which is really sufficient for my needs.

While Time Machine obviously has certain advantages over CCC -- such as its automatic multiple backup copies at timed intervals -- one of the biggest reasons why I have been hesitant to use Time Machine, is because I don't like the idea of it backing up my data until the back up destination drive is full, and then deleting older files.

Also, one of my iMacs serves as my web server. I think that creating so many frequent backups of the internal hard drive throughout the day using TM might be too disruptive for the functioning of the web server. But I could be wrong.

Also, I have a monetary investment in CCC for quite a few years now, and I like to get my money's worth. So dropping CCC and switching to TM seems like a waste of my money. :)

Login screen only shows guest user account, but not my admin account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.