Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Word does not change to .pdf from .docx when exporting as PDF.

Every time I "Save As" and choose export to pdf while in Word, it seems to convert the document, but still saves it as a .docx file type so that when I try to open it, it says the file is corrupted until I manually change the file extension to .pdf. When I do that it opens right up as a PDF in Acrobat. On my PC, when I click "Save As" and choose .pdf as the file type, it actually saves a new copy with a .pdf file extension ands opens it up for me in my pdf viewer. I am fairly new to Macs (recent convert), but I do this a lot and need to know how I can fix this.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Feb 26, 2019 6:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2019 6:45 AM

Not seeing that here. If I choose PDF from the Save As menu, a PDF is what I get with the proper .pdf extension. This from the latest version of Office 365 (Office 2019 would be nearly identical).

Trying removing Word and reinstalling it.

3 replies

Feb 26, 2019 8:01 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Ok, I trashed Word then reinstalled it (office 365). Now when I click "Save As", a different dialog box pops up. Instead of having a little grayed button on the left that says "On My Mac", it now says "Online Locations", and properly saves it as .pdf. I don't know if the fact that I am saving everything in OneDrive, or that I installed Acrobat DC after installing Word the first time had anything to do with it, but it seems to work now. Thanks.

Word does not change to .pdf from .docx when exporting as PDF.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.