Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost iPhoto photos

Problem #1:

I have just performed a time machine backup of my iMac 2009 model, with the intent to completely wipe it and restore it to factory settings.

Before wiping it I have attempted to check my iPhoto library.

iPhoto will not access my photos, instead I am getting a window saying “which iPhoto library do you want to use?” with no available options in the window...

The Mac is running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 and my current version of iPhoto is 9.6.1 (910.42)

Please help? I have thousands of photos I cannot loose...

Problem #2:

After I restore my Mac to factory settings, how do I access my iPhoto photos from time machine? Or am I better off importing all iPhoto’s to photos library. And stop using iPhoto all together?

Thanks

Posted on Feb 27, 2019 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2019 11:04 AM

By default - ie. unless you or someone else moved it - the iPhoto Library lives in your Pictures Folder. Have a look. Is it there?

To restore an iPhoto Library:

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT202321

That's a 10 year old machine. I'm not sure how well the newer Photos app will run on it. The goodness is that migrating to Photos does no damage to the iPhoto Library, so trying is free... ;)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2019 11:04 AM in response to timbayside

By default - ie. unless you or someone else moved it - the iPhoto Library lives in your Pictures Folder. Have a look. Is it there?

To restore an iPhoto Library:

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT202321

That's a 10 year old machine. I'm not sure how well the newer Photos app will run on it. The goodness is that migrating to Photos does no damage to the iPhoto Library, so trying is free... ;)

Lost iPhoto photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.