Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Last two podcast episodes are missing in Apple Podcasts

I had reason to check my podcast in iTunes and discovered that the most recent two episodes were not there. I checked the RSS feed and the episodes are there, with an enclosure that contains the correct URL for the episode.

Not sure what more I can check at my end. Thanks.

The feed is at https://www.eatthispodcast.com/feed/podcast/

Posted on Feb 28, 2019 4:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2019 5:00 AM

You have introduced a fatal error into your feed which is rendering it unreadable in both the Store and iTunes. Conesquently the Store has not updated since, and subscribing in iTunes shows the feed as empty.

A validator (XMLGrid.net) says the error is 'near' line 120, character 373. This image shows you where line 120 is:

I've obviously counted 373 characters along, but it looks as if an unacceptable character is inserted here:

That sign indicates an unacceptable character. Other appearances of it indicate a line or paragraph return, which doesn't seem to be causing any problems (there are a lot of them) but as you see there is no break here. I've no way of detecting what this is - possibly a line as opposed to paragraph break.

These problems tend to arise from copying text into a feed from a word processor. This can bring over formatting characters which are not allowed in XML, or characters such as 'curly quotes': both will wreck the feed. Whatever it is, you need to remove it. In any case, iTunes does not read the 'content:encoded' tag so it is completely redundant there.

There may be other instances (XMLGrid.net will flag only the first one it finds) though any episodes which were previously visible in the Store would presumably be OK.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2019 5:00 AM in response to jcherfas

You have introduced a fatal error into your feed which is rendering it unreadable in both the Store and iTunes. Conesquently the Store has not updated since, and subscribing in iTunes shows the feed as empty.

A validator (XMLGrid.net) says the error is 'near' line 120, character 373. This image shows you where line 120 is:

I've obviously counted 373 characters along, but it looks as if an unacceptable character is inserted here:

That sign indicates an unacceptable character. Other appearances of it indicate a line or paragraph return, which doesn't seem to be causing any problems (there are a lot of them) but as you see there is no break here. I've no way of detecting what this is - possibly a line as opposed to paragraph break.

These problems tend to arise from copying text into a feed from a word processor. This can bring over formatting characters which are not allowed in XML, or characters such as 'curly quotes': both will wreck the feed. Whatever it is, you need to remove it. In any case, iTunes does not read the 'content:encoded' tag so it is completely redundant there.

There may be other instances (XMLGrid.net will flag only the first one it finds) though any episodes which were previously visible in the Store would presumably be OK.

Last two podcast episodes are missing in Apple Podcasts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.