Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'MAC OS INSTALLER DONE' Pop Up, Can't Close

I have a mid2012 Macbook pro running OS El Capitan. Yesterday a popup suddenly appeared, it says "MAC OS INSTALLER DONE' and 'INSTALLATION ALMOST DONE' with a button that says PRESS HERE (pictured). I didn't dare click on the button fearing malware. The popup can't be closed and it FLOATS ON TOP of other apps/programs so I can't work. The only way is to restart my macbook. CMD W doesn't work. After restarting, today it shows up again around the same time as yesterday.

I have no idea where it came from but it might be from Safari, because I saw Safari suddenly launched by itself. I thought it was an extension but I only have Divx extension in safari.

Do I have malware?

Has anyone else experienced this?

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 28, 2019 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2019 10:53 AM

Try downloading this program which was written by Thomas R, a long time poster. The program will search for malware/adware The program will do the work for you which makes it easy. 

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac      10.10 and later

Malwarebytes uninstall

Similar questions

6 replies

Feb 28, 2019 11:37 AM in response to jfstn

That's malware. Probably browser junk. Quit Safari or force-Quit Safari, and see if it goes away.

If it doesn't go away, maybe something previously installed.

An EtreCheck configuration report might point to any latent cleaners or antivirus or anti-malware that's been installed here, and MalwareBytes can usually remove that.

Download and invoke and copy the EtreCheck report to the clipboard, then open a reply here and then click in the (highlighted) button that looks like a printed page to get a text input box that's big enough to paste the EtreCheck configuration report here.

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 can be upgraded to High Sierra, and to Mojave; to more current, and more secure software. Create a couple of external backups, check that your key apps work on the newer release, check that your printer has drivers available from the printer vendor, and upgrade.

'MAC OS INSTALLER DONE' Pop Up, Can't Close

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.