Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie deletes unselected audio underneath video - how do I prevent this?

I imported a bunch of audio to iMovie and placed on the timeline under a movie where I kept some of the old - detached - audio from the video. I need to start cutting out chunks of the video, but if I delete any video clips with audio underneath it, the audio is deleted too. The audio is not selected with this happens, only the video. Same if I use "cut" instead of deleting. Detaching is not even an option - it's grayed out if I right-click the video OR the audio.

I last updated iMovie a few weeks ago and haven't gotten any update notifications since. I haven't used iMovie since ~2011 and I don't remember it being this fussy.

Posted on Mar 4, 2019 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2019 3:00 PM

Hi,

Place your cursor on the audio clip, and, while pressing down, drag (pull down) the audio clip until the little connector handle pulls off from the video clip. Now you can delete the video segments without deleting the audio clip.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply

iMovie deletes unselected audio underneath video - how do I prevent this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.