Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I install Java 6 on Mojave

My blog software, Contribute 6.5, tells me I need Java 6 in order to connect to and edit my blog. I can't find a way to get Java 6 for Mojave. Is there a way?

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 4, 2019 2:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2019 2:57 AM

Java 6 is unbelievably ancient. It was released in 2006 and official support from Oracle ended in 2013.

Sadly a depressingly large number of Mac software developers are still shipping software which uses it. Software companies guilty of doing this should be shot.

It may or may not help but the latest - last version of Java 6 provided by Apple is available here - https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572?locale=en_GB it does not mention any support for Mojave but I believe it will work. It is certain that it will not work for whatever version of macOS will come after Mojave and is due to be released this autumn.

You should therefore urgently switch to an alternative solution which does not use such decrepit unsupported software which is known to have many security flaws.

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2019 2:57 AM in response to grierfrompittsfield

Java 6 is unbelievably ancient. It was released in 2006 and official support from Oracle ended in 2013.

Sadly a depressingly large number of Mac software developers are still shipping software which uses it. Software companies guilty of doing this should be shot.

It may or may not help but the latest - last version of Java 6 provided by Apple is available here - https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572?locale=en_GB it does not mention any support for Mojave but I believe it will work. It is certain that it will not work for whatever version of macOS will come after Mojave and is due to be released this autumn.

You should therefore urgently switch to an alternative solution which does not use such decrepit unsupported software which is known to have many security flaws.

Mar 5, 2019 7:02 PM in response to grierfrompittsfield

John Lockwood is correct. At the last WWDC, Apple reps made it very clear that Mojave will be the last version of macOS to support 32-bit apps, and that includes support for Java 6 being dropped.

Considering that your blog software is now almost seven years old, perhaps you should consider upgrading to something newer and more powerful. If you run your own web server, I highly recommend WordPress. I have been using it successfully for years now. It is very expandable -- with plugins -- and it is free. You have total control over your blog.

If you don't run your own web server, you can also set up a blog at wordpress.com. Or, if WordPress is not to your liking, there are so many other social networks, one of which may appeal to you, such as Facebook, Blogger, Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, LinkedIn, etc. And they are also free to join.

Personally, IMHO, setting up your own WordPress blog on your own web server is the best way to go. It can integrate right into the rest of your website.

Mar 5, 2019 7:22 PM in response to leroydouglas

Leroy, I may be wrong, but I get the impression that one of the reasons why he is using Contribute 6.5 is because it is one of those old Adobe WYSIWYG website/blog editors which don't require any knowledge of HTML. Maybe he is not a hands-on guy who likes to dig into actual HTML code.

BTW, while I do run a self-installed WordPress blog, all of the rest of my website is designed in BBEdit, so I know where you are coming from. A great companion app for BBEdit is "Balthisar Tidy for Work".

Mar 6, 2019 11:02 PM in response to WordWeaver777

John Lockwood and WordWeaver777: Thanks for your thoughtful advice. One reason I wanted to stay with Contribute 6.5 is that it has the archives to all the blogs I've done since 2006. If I switch to something like WordPress, can I bring the archives with me. For years I posted every other day, so there is some heavy lifting I assume.

Mar 7, 2019 3:57 AM in response to grierfrompittsfield

Well, Grier, whether or not you can do that depends on a few things. For example, do you run your own web server? Second, is your current blog database driven? In other words, does it use mySQL, or does it use flat, text-based files to store your posts?

If you do run your own web server, and if Contribute 6.5 requires mySQL to store all of its data, then it might be possible to switch everything over to a self-installed WordPress blog.

Let me know, and if you answer in the affirmative to both questions, we can proceed from there.

Mar 7, 2019 4:52 AM in response to WordWeaver777

See - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Contribute

Interestingly that says it supports WordPress. I get the impression it is like Microsoft's Windows Live Writer. See - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Live_Writer

I have used Windows Live Writer to edit Google blogger pages in the past.

If I am right these tools merely act as a local GUI app to edit content which the tool then uploads to the blogging platform e.g. WordPress in the possible case of Contribute.

As such one could simply stop using Contribute and directly edit content in a web-browser on WordPress.

Mar 7, 2019 10:37 AM in response to John Lockwood

Yeah, John, I think you are right. I read the Wikipedia link you posted, and it clearly says that it is a client/server suite. My impression is that you can edit compatible blog posts with it, but it is NOT an actual website builder like the old PageMill or Dreamweaver, and it is most definitely NOT a self-installable blog package like WordPress either.

Of course, there is also the website version of WordPress at wordpress.com. However, as you probably know, in my comments to Grier, I was actually referring to setting up his own self-installed WordPress blog on his own web server. In fact, considering how much WordPress has changed and improved over the past seven years, and how old his software is, I wonder if Grier could even still use Adobe Contribute to post to a wordpress.com blog. It may no longer even be compatible with it. I guess he will have to check it out and see, if he is interested.

Mar 7, 2019 1:22 PM in response to WordWeaver777

John Lockwood and WordWeaver 777. Thanks for your input. But I am nowhere near your levels in computer knowledge.

A friend set up my blog years ago and showed me how to do my posts, which include a lot of photos. I did everything on Contribute 6.5. Maybe you can see how I'm working and how I might convert if you took a look at the blog if your interested in spending any more of your time on this. It is wwww.grierhorner.com.

Thanks.

Mar 7, 2019 2:28 PM in response to grierfrompittsfield

I suspected that this might be a bit challenging for you. I attempted to go to your website so I could get a better idea regarding exactly how Adobe Contribute works, and what your pages look like. However, Firefox threw up a warning, because your web server is not configured properly:

Your connection is not secure

The owner of www.grierhorner.com. has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connecwww.grierhorner.com.

Until that is fixed, I cannot even get into your website. Sorry.

Mar 8, 2019 1:06 AM in response to grierfrompittsfield

Grier, according to Firefox, the reason why I was blocked from entering your website is because while your website's domain name is grierhorner.com, the SSL certificate that it is using was actually issued for "*.prod.iad2.secureserver.net" and "prod.iad2.secureserver.net".

Don't worry if you don't understand what I just said. What you need to do is to tell your friend that they need to go to the certificate authority who issued them their SSL certificate -- that is, Starfield Secure Certificate Authority at http://certs.starfieldtech.com/repository/ -- and have them issue a new certificate for your website. The new certificate should either be for "grierhorner.com" alone, or for "*.prod.iad2.secureserver.net" and "prod.iad2.secureserver.net" and "grierhorner.com", if those first two are still even valid domain names. In other words, you can hhttps://letsencrypt.org/. certificate, if need be.

A good, free certificate authority is LetsEncrypt at https://letsencrypt.org/.

I hope the above helps you to get your website fixed. If your friend knows their stuff, they can fix this issue in a matter of about ten minutes. Until then, people will not be able to enter your website, unless they choose to override the warning in their web browser.

I went ahead and overroad the warning so I could see what is going on with your site. I was presented with the following:

Future home of something quite cool.

If you're the site owner, log in to launch this site

If you are a visitor, check back soon.

Mar 8, 2019 1:38 AM in response to grierfrompittsfield

As WordWeaver777 indicates the problem is that the SSL certificate currently being used on your https://www.grierhorner.com site is not the right one. It is actually a 'wildcard' certificate for the .prod.iad2.secureserver.net domain. (It would therefore work for www.prod.iad2.secureserver.net and mail.prod.iad2.secureserver.net etc.)

As it appears to be a wildcard certificate it would not normally be possible to add a totally different domain to it, so most likely you will need a new certificate specifically for www.grierhorner.com

There is normally no point yourself getting a wildcard certificate as these cost much more than normal certificates and also have more stringent application verification requirements.

Again as WordWeaver777 mentions it is possible to get a free proper certificate from LetsEncrypt however this is normally only suitable for experienced corporate IT departments as certificates issued by LetsEncrypt only last 90 days and then need renewing again, a 'normal' purchased certificate lasts one to two years on average. I do myself use both purchased and LetsEncrypt certificates but I am part of a corporate IT department. :)

Mar 8, 2019 2:19 AM in response to John Lockwood

John, thanks for the clarification regarding the wildcard. I was actually wondering about that, and if he might possibly have a problem adding his domain to the same certificate.

Regarding LetsEncrypt and free certificates versus commercial ones, yes, it is a small hassle to have to renew a LetsEncrypt certificate every 90 days, even though it can be done in less than ten minutes in the terminal, and they do send you an email notification, lest you forget to do it. In fact, the whole process can be automated, if one has the knowledge. My setup is a little more complicated, being as I use third party web server software, so I can't completely automate the process, but that's okay.

However, given the kind of site that Grier is running -- what appears to be a personal photo blog of some sort -- I doubt that he will want to invest hundreds of dollars a year in a commercial certificate, and much less in a more expensive wildcard certificate. I imagine that is the case with most folks who run personal web servers on their Macs. LetsEncrypt is a free, easy way to go, and as I said, even restrictive Google is happy with it.

In my case, I took it a step further and also had my domains added to the HSTS preload list, for a little extra boost.

Mar 8, 2019 11:09 AM in response to WordWeaver777

Hi John and WordWeaver777 - I rreally appreciate the fact you are still digging. However, I'm alarmed that when DreamWeaver 777 tried to get my blog he found nothing there but a promise of something to come. My blog contains hundreds of posts and even more photos. I don't know what is going on. Firefox tells me they're preventing anyone from connecting because they're afraid someone will steal my stuff. I'm calling the woman who set the blog up for me. I'll let you know what she says.

how do I install Java 6 on Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.