Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud set up

I set up my iCloud a long time ago (can’t remember the warnings, etc) and am now setting up my husband’s on his iPhone. I started the process of saying what I wanted to be stored there and each time I selected an item, it said it would be deleted from the iPhone and put on the cloud. I am SURE it doesn’t mean I can’t access them from the iPhone, but just need reassurance that I won’t lose his pictures. Thanks for any information.

iPhone 8, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 7, 2019 8:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2019 12:38 PM

Hi, PatSox,

It sounds like you're setting up iCloud on a new device and want to make sure you're not misunderstanding the information being provided. I'm happy to offer clarification!

iCloud has made some fantastic advancements over the years, offering users more and more features and options when it comes to managing storage on your Apple devices. One of those advancements is a feature called Optimize Storage, which works with various apps (like Photos) to maximizing the storage on your device by keeping files in iCloud. This does not mean you can't access the files from an iPhone, or that the content will be deleted simply by turning iCloud and its features on. Instead, it simply means the file will be moved from the phone and placed in iCloud, then the

It's important to keep in mind that while iCloud stores the original files, it is not meant as a place to back those files up (outside of iOS backups). So if you make changes, such as deleting a picture, on your iPhone, it will sync those changes up to iCloud and across any other device you use with iCloud.

You can find several articles related to iCloud and how it works by visiting iCloud - Official Apple Support. For information specific to iCloud Photos, check out Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support.

Have a great weekend!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2019 12:38 PM in response to PatSox

Hi, PatSox,

It sounds like you're setting up iCloud on a new device and want to make sure you're not misunderstanding the information being provided. I'm happy to offer clarification!

iCloud has made some fantastic advancements over the years, offering users more and more features and options when it comes to managing storage on your Apple devices. One of those advancements is a feature called Optimize Storage, which works with various apps (like Photos) to maximizing the storage on your device by keeping files in iCloud. This does not mean you can't access the files from an iPhone, or that the content will be deleted simply by turning iCloud and its features on. Instead, it simply means the file will be moved from the phone and placed in iCloud, then the

It's important to keep in mind that while iCloud stores the original files, it is not meant as a place to back those files up (outside of iOS backups). So if you make changes, such as deleting a picture, on your iPhone, it will sync those changes up to iCloud and across any other device you use with iCloud.

You can find several articles related to iCloud and how it works by visiting iCloud - Official Apple Support. For information specific to iCloud Photos, check out Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support.

Have a great weekend!

iCloud set up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.