Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which way is easier to bring pictures from Photos app on MacBook Pro to work on Photoshop?

Hello,

I used to take/ bring pictures from iPhone and digital camera to Photos app, then I drag some pictures directly from Photos app to Photoshop. Now that is not working as I know.

Now I Export some pictures from Photos app to a folder, and bring pictures from the folder to Photoshop to work. Is this easiest way to work on Photoshop? It is not easy to search for best picture from the folder because pictures icon is so small on the folder. Are there someone who know better way to work?

Thanks much for help in advance!

Posted on Mar 7, 2019 5:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2019 11:05 AM

The RAW format for photos is giving you the image information as captured by the sensor, without any preprocessing.

before we can work with a RAW photo it has to be developed and saved in a more convenient image format. During the RAW development the lens artifacts have to be corrected, specific for the lens of the camera and a photometric correction applied, specific for the sensor and the lens.

Normally, this will be done right in the camera, and we download the developed TIFF or JPEG.

If you are taking pictures in difficult lighting situations or want to apply advanced enhancements, you may want to start from the RAW image, because the JPEG compression may have already lost resulted in lost details and the structure of the photo. Starting all edits from the RAW image may result in sharper and more detailed images, help you to preserve fine details in the highlights and the shadows. I am taking the images in RAW format, when I want to combine multiple exposures into a HDR photo. But most of the time I am quite happy with the RAW development in my camera. It is frequently better than I get it done manually.

If you want to compare, if you would profit from RAW, set your camera to take RAW&JPEG pairs and then compare the two versions.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2019 11:05 AM in response to blue sky

The RAW format for photos is giving you the image information as captured by the sensor, without any preprocessing.

before we can work with a RAW photo it has to be developed and saved in a more convenient image format. During the RAW development the lens artifacts have to be corrected, specific for the lens of the camera and a photometric correction applied, specific for the sensor and the lens.

Normally, this will be done right in the camera, and we download the developed TIFF or JPEG.

If you are taking pictures in difficult lighting situations or want to apply advanced enhancements, you may want to start from the RAW image, because the JPEG compression may have already lost resulted in lost details and the structure of the photo. Starting all edits from the RAW image may result in sharper and more detailed images, help you to preserve fine details in the highlights and the shadows. I am taking the images in RAW format, when I want to combine multiple exposures into a HDR photo. But most of the time I am quite happy with the RAW development in my camera. It is frequently better than I get it done manually.

If you want to compare, if you would profit from RAW, set your camera to take RAW&JPEG pairs and then compare the two versions.

Mar 8, 2019 5:19 AM in response to Keith Barkley

Are you using a newer version of Photoshop, Keith? My Photoshop is stuck on CS6, and that version does not provide Photo Editing extensions. I have to go through Image > Edit With > Others > Adobe Photoshop or have to use the External Editors extension to send the originals as RAW files. I am curious, if the more recent versions have a better integration with Photos.

Mar 8, 2019 9:04 AM in response to blue sky

"Image > Open with" has only be recently added to Photos. It has first been introduced in Photos 3.0 on macOS 10.13 High Sierra. The early versions of Photos did not have this option.Then we had to fall back on the "External Editors" extension, that allows us to call any external editor. I still like this method with the External editors extension, because we can pass RAW files in the RAW format to the external editor.

Which way is easier to bring pictures from Photos app on MacBook Pro to work on Photoshop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.