Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro A1278 keeps shutting down/rebooting

Hey all,

Racking my brain here trying to troubleshoot a friends Macbook pro. Model A1278

2.5 Ghz Intel i5

500 G HD

The laptop keeps shutting down/restarting; sometimes there is a startup chime other times not. Screen often is scrambled, pixelated mess with white and black bars. Once I was able to actually see login screen but it shut down right after and unable to get there again. I have reset SMC, PRAM, reseated internal RAM, tried to boot into safe mode, run recovery mode and disk utility with no success. I did remove HD and plug it into an iMac via USB and was able to run disk utility on it and verify that it came back healthy. Truly at a loss here and not sure how to proceed with repair. Comfortable with replacing internal parts, but not sure which parts may need to be replaced.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Mar 9, 2019 6:50 AM

Similar questions

14 replies

Mar 9, 2019 8:11 AM in response to FloridaXLT

First suspect in that particular model is a worn hard drive cable. It suffers a circuitous routing over sharp metal edges in the chassis. With 3-5 years of normal vibration of use and transport, the cable sheathing can wear, causing shorting. Don't bother inspecting it--not all faults are visible--just get a new one.

The cable is available, cheap, and easily user-installable. I have the same model and, when upgrading the mech drive to SSD, I replaced the cable out of caution even though it did not show symptoms. That cable is here:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/8211480/

and I used this instructional video:

https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbookpro_13_unibody_mid12_hard_drive_cable/

The second suspect that comes to my mind is overheating. That model has only one fan so heat can be an issue. Macs are fitted with temperature sensors that signal the computer to shut down if internal temps get too high, roughly 100°/212°F in most notebook models.

Run Apple Hardware Test and post back with any errors it reports. Instructions for your model are here:

How to use Apple Hardware Test on your Mac - Apple Support

While replacing the HD cable, remove the fan and check it and the little heat sink it services for a build-up of lint. I found this in my A1278 after about four years of use:

That little pad of lint was reducing the effectiveness of the cooling system.

⚠️ NOTE: If you remove the fan, simply remove the three screws and LEAVE THE CABLE CONNECTED TO THE BOARD and lay the fan to the right. The connector where the cable engages the board is small and disgustingly delicate. Messing it up means you've ruined the logic board.

Mar 13, 2019 3:08 PM in response to HWTech

Thank you for your continued assistance. Power adapter has been connected for all tests. Tried removing battery and booted with same results. Disconnected hard drive (internal/external) with no change either and no other peripherals are plugged in at this time. Attempted option boot, but continual reboot/startup chime continues. I am attaching a screenshot of what display looks like. I will attempt USB boot as described to see if that changes anything.

Mar 10, 2019 9:19 AM in response to FloridaXLT

So I ran DriveDX using the iMac and USB and the Macbook HD is healthy as anything. The problem is that I cannot get the HD to boot up again when connected to the Macbook via external USB connection. It worked last night and ended up locking up as it finished running the Apple Hardware Test. Whenever I try to boot now, it just keeps reproducing the repetitive startup/shut down with pixelated screen as described above. I did remove the fan and pulled out several of lint as well. I ordered the replacement HD cable, but I am concerned now that USB external boot method is not working.

Mar 13, 2019 2:31 PM in response to FloridaXLT

Does this happen when using the power adapter? Make sure to use the power adapter for all tests. Don't connect any external devices unless booting the drive externally.

Try disconnecting the battery and see if the issue still occurs.

What happens if you Option Boot and stay at the Boot Picker menu? Does it shutdown or does the fan run at high speed?

How about leaving the drive disconnected (both internally & externally) and boot into Recovery Mode which will automatically go into Internet Recovery without a bootable drive connected.

Create a bootable USB drive for Memtest86 using Etcher. Option Boot Memtest86 (it will appear as a orange icon labeled "EFI"). In the "Tests" menu I believe you can change the number of loops for the test (located below the list of tests) and adjust it to a higher number so you can let it run overnight.

Mar 13, 2019 3:38 PM in response to FloridaXLT

Attempted option boot, but continual reboot/startup chime continues.

Can you clarify this a bit more? When the boot picker menu appeared, did you leave it sit there without booting further?

Most likely a GPU issue with that screen or possibly a memory issue. You could try removing one stick of RAM to see if it makes a difference. If you still have the issue, then remove the second memory module. Reinstall the first memory module in the original slot from which you removed it. If it still has the problem then the GPU/Logic Board is at fault. Since it occurs so quickly after power on, it is doubtful the heatsink compound will make a difference.

Does the internal Display cable appear to be fully seated?

Mar 13, 2019 4:00 PM in response to HWTech

I apologize, any attempts to boot by any method are unsuccessful and simply produce the same screen that I attached. I attempted to remove each RAM stick and had no change in the failed boot. From what I can see the display cable appears to be properly seated. I will have to look into purchasing a new logic board then at this point since it appears all other options have been exhausted.

Mar 13, 2019 7:13 PM in response to FloridaXLT

You may as well try replacing the heatsink compound just in case.

It doesn't hurt to disconnect all unnecessary items from the Logic Board just in case one of them is causing a problem. Even the keyboard can be disconnected if you use the power on pads on the Logic Board.

If you remove both sticks of RAM do you get the missing memory beeps?

Macbook Pro A1278 keeps shutting down/rebooting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.