Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locked out of new MacBook Air; Screen message: “Password required to enable Touch ID message”

Trying to log back into my brand new MacBook Air. New Apple user (former Windows user)....

MacBook Air

Posted on Mar 9, 2019 12:11 PM

5 replies

Mar 9, 2019 12:40 PM in response to sharonlmb

*reset it

I cannot unlock it OR reset it because it’s no longer recognizing the pw I had used to set up my laptop (Apple ID Password), and it no longer recognizes my fingerprint, AND I don’t know how to power down/turn off the laptop in order to reset it because I haven’t yet had a chance to view any tutorials or familiarize myself with the device.

Mar 9, 2019 1:14 PM in response to sharonlmb

OK I thought I figured it out on my own, but apparently not! I got it restarted & selected the option to “reset using Apple ID”. Then I typed in my existing Apple ID and password but now it’s says in red, that there was an “error connecting to the Apple ID server”! Was I supposed to enter a NEW pw there instead of my existing one? If so, it should’ve said, “Enter your NEW pw”! Brand new Apple laptop & I can’t even use it after 3 days of trying to figure this out! Maybe I should’ve stuck to Windows!!!

Mar 9, 2019 12:25 PM in response to micalah208

After unboxing my new laptop, I guess I made the mistake of using my existing Apple ID password instead of creating a new Login Password (I didn’t know there was a difference). I also had enabled Touch ID and successfully unlocked it multiple times using Touch ID, but then after barely using the laptop for a day or so, it showed the above message, and now it won’t allow me back in using either Touch ID OR my Apple ID Password. I do have the article on how to reset my password, but the problem is that I don’t even know how to turn off the laptop in order to rest it! I hadn’t even had a chance to familiarize myself with the device at all yet! Grrr

Mar 9, 2019 1:31 PM in response to sharonlmb

I guess not. I tried entering a new pw instead, even though it says at the top of the page “Reset Password”, but it keeps coming up with the same message in red, “ There was an error connecting to the Apple ID server.

I even tried plugging the laptop into a brand new hub (which I connected to my iPhone, in case it was a WiFi issue), to no avail.

What NOW??

I guess I’ll have to call Apple and sit on hold forever, or else take a 90 minute drive to the Apple store. 😣😡

Locked out of new MacBook Air; Screen message: “Password required to enable Touch ID message”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.